Cheap temporary greenhouse at Wilkos?

• 10 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Cheap temporary greenhouse at Wilkos?
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:23 »
I was doing my research yesterday into a diy poly tunnel when I saw this greenhouse at Wilkos: wilko greenhouse

I know that ultimately it is rubbish but I'm on a real tight budget.  Apart from the cover for a Polytunnel I think I can build a slightly bigger Polytunnel than this for a similar price and think I have also just sourced a free door with glass in for it.

My wife thinks I should just go with the Wilkos one and secure it properly.  I won't be growing too much inside it, but it would be nice to have somewhere flexible enough to store a few (cheap) tools, go inside when it rains, have a cuppa when I want to as well as starting a few seeds early next year and potentially growing some peppers or tomatoes which we cannot do easily at the moment.

It won't be on my plot as I am not allowed to erect anything on mine bar the composter, but it is an area designated for sheds greenhouses and poly tunnels.

Will I just be wasting my money? I've got a feeling the Polytunnel I want to build will be more flexible in terms of use but also longer lasting, but could be wrong!

edit to fix long link
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:27 by mumofstig »

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Re: Cheap temporary greenhouse at Wilkos?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:24 »
Sorry I didn't know how to do the link so it was shorter!

Also I have a plot space of 3m x4m available for the greenhouse or Polytunnel.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:30 »
I've fixed your link  ;)

Have a look at this thread for some opinions
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=51408.msg610043#msg610043

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:23 »
personally, i had one...and the condensation inside made it like a rain forest humidity...even with the door fully open all day it just seems to stay like that!...first big gale destroyed it ..which motivated me to trawl for a new real greenhouse and i got my 8x8 for £25 ...took me about a month to find it...but that involved walking round allotments asking if anyone knew of one for sale..then i tried gumtree and there it was...(could have saved me many walks if i had a crystal bal lol)

all in all good for a very short term but no good for a permanent greenhouse.

hope this helps
Axe

boosmummy

Who was it who posted about the budget greenhouse....
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 22:14 »
there was a thread about a budget greenhouse in wilkinsons for £36 they were wondering about getting it.  Well i got one a couple of weeks ago and put it up on the allotment on tuesday

http://pinterest.com/pin/227150374925470311/

Its ok, like some one else said you get what you pay for. 

The most annoying thing is when i put the bloomin thing up and everything unzipped it and re-zipped it the zip broke.  If it wasnt honestly too much of a hassle to take it down and take it back i would but im in the process of emailing wilkos and seeing what they can do about it.

theres a bit of feedback for you xx

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 22:45 »
I've tagged your feedback on to the end of the original thread boosmummy  ;)

boosmummy

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 22:58 »
I've tagged your feedback on to the end of the original thread boosmummy  ;)

brill thanks xx

chrissie B

green houses
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 14:22 »
hi all
have seen a good sized plastic covered green house in wilkinsons its abput 39.99 the plastic is of a good thickness and has what looks like strengtherners running through it , i was just wondering if any one has had one of these and how it performed , did the plastic tear and did it take off at the least gust of wind as we get out fair share of wind up here .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 14:33 »
merged these posts together  :)

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 11:15 »
Got to think about recycling the unloved ones in peoples gardens rather than buying cheap rubbish I think.

Get your goggles on and start looking there are loads of unused ones just full of junk waiting for someone to dismantle and collect for free.

I must pass five or six every day. Get out of the car and knock on the door.

Plus its free and not made for a bowl of rice.

LilacSandy

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 11:35 »
I brought 3 last year of the walk in greenhouse at £6.50 each when they were selling them off.  I have two of them in the patio area at the top of the garden in a very sheltered position next to the one I got from Aldi three years ago that is still going strong.  I find they are brilliant for overwintering my fushia plants and I also use them as to put in my broad beans and onions to make strong plants before I plant them at the lotty and then use the shell for growing tomatoes and peppers in the summer.  However I do have an unheated glass greenhouse at the bottom of the garden for potting on and keeping warm and dry in the winter.

I am going to take the last one up the lotty this afternoon to see if I can find a nice sheltered position.  I am going to rope each bar and peg it down with guy ropes over the top but I do not think it would last in the Autumn and Winter gales.  I have been looking for ages for a second hand one for the lotty looks like I should be living in Devon. :lol:

xx
8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse cheap

Started by babe on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 17:47
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Cheap polytunnel greenhouse worth the money?

Started by ThatsNice on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post January 08, 2013, 14:40
by crh75
xx
Worth buying a cheap 2nd hand greenhouse or polytunnel??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 22:24
by muntjac
xx
temporary greenhouses

Started by Porffor on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 22:00
by noshed

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 28 queries.