temporary greenhouses

• 15 Replies

Porffor

temporary greenhouses
« on: June 25, 2008, 21:35 »
Hi just wondered if anyone has a temporary greenhouse type from Homebase or ebay? I'm looking at them on both sites and they are 6' x 4' but just wondered if anyone has one and what they think of it.

oh and here's a link in case you don't know what i mean ;)
ebay listing of 6x4 temp greenhouse

gardengran

• Experienced Member
temporary greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 21:56 »
i dont have one of those but i do have a smaller one that holds just 1 growbag and its done the job for me for the last 3 yrs. i have 3 tomato plants in a grow bag pushed back as far as possible and a long planter in front with 3 peppers in.mine has 3 shelves above the base and i start all my seeds off in it. i think i paid £14ish for it so it dosent owe me anything  :lol: it will only last this season now though, iv had to repair it and the zips are going, but hopfully il have a real one for next season woohoo!

christine :D
please god let my carrots grow as big as the dock roots!

Lee1978

temporary greenhouses
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 22:34 »
I personnally would'nt bother as other plot holders have had them blown away despite being secured down, mind you our site is quite exposed :wink:

Porffor

temporary greenhouses
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 22:35 »
Great stuff! :) Can't argue at that price for 3 or 4 years :) we are new to this garden (moved in last august) so a proper greenhouse is a pipe dream at the moment (unless the unused one next door is donated to me :lol: )

I think this'll be plenty big enough for raising seeds and then as you are growing toms and peppers - peppers are on my kitchen windowsill this year! :lol:

gardengran

• Experienced Member
temporary greenhouses
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 22:35 »
i dont have an allotment  mine is in a sheltered corner of the garden  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
temporary greenhouses
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 22:49 »
I would have another read of Omegaman's post & also ask mashauk about her 'kite'!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Porffor

temporary greenhouses
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 08:42 »
Thanks will have a look for them. I'm also a garden and it would be sheltered on two sides. And only 'up' during spring and summer. Mind we are on a hill and do get high winds when the rest of the area does. :)

Big Jen

temporary greenhouses
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 12:11 »
Hi, The one on ebay is clear plastic and is not as strong as the green plastic. I was looking at one of these at Wyvale Garden centre in green and they did look good, thought about buying one but they were £65 so didnt! Might just chance a homebase one though.
The covers always break on the small plastic ones but they are good for seedlings etc if you replace the cover every year!
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

Porffor

temporary greenhouses
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 16:17 »
:) yes the covers are on sale in Homebase too - figured as same size and price i'd just go to homebase. :)
Will give it a go and if nothing else it'll raise some seedlings :) I run out of windowledge space each spring! lol

buckrabbit

temporary greenhouses
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 15:44 »
Have you thought of making a polytunnel?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
temporary greenhouses
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 18:38 »
Mine was a pain the proverbial due to the wind despite the bricks and toes it was attatched to, so Im going to use it as staging for drying onions and garlic in my lotty shed
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

compostqueen

temporary greenhouses
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 19:57 »
me too, although one is up the plot, and fingers crossed it's stayed put so far

jack russell

temporary greenhouses
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 00:50 »
Get on to your neighbours and ask if you can put some stuff in their greenhouse as it is not being used and you can share the produce they might let you have it :wink:  if you don't ask n all that :D  :wink: shy bairns get nowt :D
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
temporary greenhouses
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 07:10 »
I really do think that you ought to look at these threads before 'investing' in one. (Whilst mashauk originally referred to them as 'polytunnels' it is a plastic greenhouse she was talking about).

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=10871

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=14984

greenchaos

temporary greenhouses
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 21:56 »
we got one march april time and it lasted all of 2 weeks!

we now have a greenhouse, that i got of e-bay. It cost £25 and the people were local so they even delivered! a few glass panes missing, but next door has donated some glass he had laying around :D  :D

if your willing to wait try ebay. just stick to the price you want to pay, you will get one eventually

xx
Cheap temporary greenhouse at Wilkos?

Started by Paulj on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 11:35
by LilacSandy
xx
B&Q greenhouses

Started by potatopotato on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 18:27
by blue_cortina
xx
Greenhouses

Started by The Red Baron on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 13:01
by The Red Baron
xx
Greenhouses

Started by JazzyJ on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 09:16
by Harry Flashman VC

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 29 queries.