woolly tasteless tomatoes

• 18 Replies

Mrs Bee

woolly tasteless tomatoes
« on: February 20, 2012, 19:31 »
I have just got a variety of tomato seeds planted ready for this year but.......

Last years tomatoes were not good! They all have a woolly floury texture and none of the acidic, sharp sweet flavour that one grows the tomatoes for.

I grew tumbling tom, gardeners delight, roma, money maker and a tiny tomato no bigger than a large pea, ( don't know what it is called we saved the seed from one that came from a supermarket).

The best one for flavour was the tiny one! All the others were not worth eating. Not even worth turning into soup; they had a slightly bitter flavour.

What did I do wrong?
Could this be another case of manky compost? They were all planted in tubs and were south facing.
Gardeners delight, moneymaker were from seed that I saved myself.

Any help gratefully received.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 19:32 by Mrs Ball »

mattwragg94

Re: woolly tasteless tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 19:36 »
ive grown some toms in the past and i had the same problem as you, but i put it down to the variety, but because it happened to more than one of the varieties that you grew i think it might be down to the lack of water - toms are very thirsty plants, you can never give them enough water.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 19:40 »
It happens when the weather is not ideal and they take a long while to ripen, the last 2 summers have not been brilliant for tom ripening - even in a greenhouse :(

we 'talked' about it here last year, but I can't find the topic now ::)

Here's hoping this year is better!

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 19:55 »
and if MOS cant find the post wve got no chance of finding it! ;) ;

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 20:40 »
Thanks for that.
Thought I was doing something wrong. Will give it another go this year and hope for better weather.

Will keep an eye on the watering too.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 22:05 »
What was your watering regime, and what were you feeding them with / how frequently?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 00:11 »
Hello Mrs Ball. I had a brain wave! ::)
You say you saved your own seed from your tomatoes and they were all bad except for the ones from the supermarket. Could this be because they cross-pollinated and/or they were F1 hybrids?
I agree that last year was bad for a lot of us, though, due to the vagarities in the weather.......

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:29 »
Tricky question - tomato taste is a very subjective and personal thing, and although last year's weather was far from ideal for many of us, I think that even in a good year it's hard to know for sure whether your tomato crop is really typical of what other people achieve.

Don't know whether you have looked at the "Home-grown Tomato Surveys" (on a child board of GYO) but if you look at the tables and read the threads you should get a better idea of what might suit you (if only in theory!)

I can certainly vouch for Sweet Million as a tasty, sweet but acid cherry tomato, and will have to give Sungold a try this year since it seems to be such a sure-fire winner.

You may well spot DD's and Mum's posts following the table in the 2011 poll - Moneymaker (one of Mrs Ball's choices) is certainly not a taste sensation for them!  ;)

Edit: Should have mentioned that both Sungold and Sweet Million are F1 varieties so are not suitable for growing from seed saved from previous croppings.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:51 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:34 »
Too right with Moneymaker!

As JayG says, taste is very subjective, but for me it's got to be one of the black varieties. Black Cherry is a taste explosion and last year someone gave me a "Black Krim" plant. I was that impressed I saved the seeds out of a lot of its fruit.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

stompy

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11 »
I grew my tomatos in a greenhouse with half the glass missing and still got a good and "tastey" crop.

I would agree with viettaclark on this one and say it's more likely to be the fact you saved your own seed.

I have never had a poor tasteing crop of tomatos and regularly grow gardeners delight, sungold, and alicante.

I grew moneymaker one year and one year only as others have said it is quite tasteless but crops well and ripens uniformly, hence the name money maker  ;)

Buy fresh seed this year that will last you a few seasons their not expensive and you know what your getting  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 11:01 »
The way I read the original post was that Mrs B saved the seed from the small supermarket toms, not the others.

stompy

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 11:04 »
Ahh, right.

I don't know then  :lol:

allot2learn

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:00 »
I'm sure that I have read somewhere that tomato flavour can become bland by over watering and that it's important to get the amount just right.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 12:21 »
I usually find that outdoor grown ones have a better flavour than the same variety grown in a greenhouse.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 17:14 »
I'm sure that I have read somewhere that tomato flavour can become bland by over watering and that it's important to get the amount just right.

Yes, you're right - that's why I asked about the watering and feeding regime.

xx
Tasteless tomatoes!

Started by Steamairy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 15:09
by Steamairy
xx
Tasteless Tomatoes

Started by ruralbob on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 09:42
by CZ Silhouette
xx
Tasteless Ailsa Craig tomatoes - why?

Started by ceba on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2022, 18:08
by Growster...
xx
Tasteless Strawberries

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 18:05
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 38 queries.