What was eating through my spud sacks?

• 3 Replies

Mrs Bee

What was eating through my spud sacks?
« on: February 20, 2012, 20:50 »
 What was eating the spuds in the utility room?

We still don't know but it seems to have stopped.

I am still waiting for OH to sort out a webcam! ( Not in my job description)
But in the meantime we have put out loads of rat traps, mice traps, a squirrel trap and put loads of pasta bait down! and nothing! The apple is still there! nothing has been nibbled and my new laundry basket seems to be safe!

Spuds are safe inside the metal dustbin with the airholes drilled in. Small holes not big enough for  mices or ratses!  Seems to be a good solution for storing spuds so will keep that up.

I have moved the winter squash into one of the spare fridges  that I have now emptied  of sevilles. So I have removed all food sources except a large Braeburn apple which is still untouched.

I am still mystified.
When we were having a clear out in the garage which is an extension of the utility, I did find a few dried rat droppings. But then we did have rats earlier in the year and we got 'em in the rat traps along with a few stray mice.

I am just mystified that none of the methods we used to rid ourselves of rodents the first time were  working when they had worked so well the first time. I even gave up a mars bar to bait the traps with!

We haven't left the utility door open during the cold weather and have not seen the local squirrels much either. I still wonder if it was the squirrels. I remember seeing a flurry of tail by the utility window at the time.

Have  left the traps down and baited but to date nothing has happened.

OH is having  a clear out in the garage and a good look to see if he can see any signs of anything still living there. he wondered if the rodents had made themselves cosy in the bale of straw that was in there as several of the old chicken feed sacks had been chewed too. We kept the empty bags to put the spuds in. the feed is kept in metal dustbins.

Hope my recliner cushions haven't been chewed to bits. Still, not really a problem if they have. Never seem to get time to sit in the garden since we had the allotment!

'advice. Looks like this one will remain a mystery!

Auntiemogs

Re: What was eating through my spud sacks?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 00:51 »
"I am just mystified that none of the methods we used to rid ourselves of rodents the first time were  working when they had worked so well the first time. I even gave up a mars bar to bait the traps with!"  :ohmy:
A mystery indeed and I hope it remains that way for you Mrs Ball.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:10 »
MARS BARS!!!! .... well it wasnt me then coz with this diet theres no way I could have left a mars bar untouched  :tongue2:

You can rest assured that with pasta bait you won't find bodies as it will be taken back to nests, it's brilliant stuff and well designed. Hope it's sorted and you don't get anymore visitors but still take your precautions with storing food as safely as possible  ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 18:53 »
MARS BARS!!!! .... well it wasnt me then coz with this diet theres no way I could have left a mars bar untouched  :tongue2:

You can rest assured that with pasta bait you won't find bodies as it will be taken back to nests, it's brilliant stuff and well designed. Hope it's sorted and you don't get anymore visitors but still take your precautions with storing food as safely as possible  ;)

With my ever expanding waistline I suppose I shouldn't complain about the mars bar!

The even stranger thing tho' is that the pasta bait hasn't been touched. Not a nibble.

Fingers and eyes crossed, that this is it  for now and we will think about better ways to store our harvest this year. I really do not want 6 sacks of spuds and various other produce camped in my dining room again.

At the moment everything is out of rodents reach.

xx
whats eating me spud foliage

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 07:15
by sunshineband
xx
where do people buy sacks

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 00:22
by Plot No 2
xx
Looking for potato sacks

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 19:43
by grendel
xx
where to buy hessian sacks

Started by Sue33 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 21:41
by DD.

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 36 queries.