It all starts tomorrow....

• 15 Replies

Cluckyclaire

It all starts tomorrow....
« on: February 17, 2012, 22:02 »
Hello all  :D

twas the night before our first chook ever stayed here...

hehe what a week this has been! full time work, reading about (the new enemy) red mite, taking delivery of poultry shield pecking spray??? and 2nd wood preserver treatment of coop at 9pm last nite? in honour of our new girls who we are collecting tomorrow... am so excited hehe!!! got coop run pellets diatom netttex cleaner pecking spray feeder waterer applecider vinegar gentian violet wire weldmesh pegs and slabs to keep fox out (electric fence on order) you name it! phew ::) just hoping the biodri is here tomorrow or soon!!!! and stalosan for the ground too, have clearly been reading too much......

Ok so here is the plan...

collect the girls about 2pm
bring them home about 3pm
house all cosy beds made (to be unmade yeh) diatom poultry sheild sprayed everywhere, newspaper in coop layers underperches for poo clearing, clear perspex purchased after work tonight at wickes to keep grazing area dry over run
have food (pellets only?) ready in feeder? do we need green in the run there too for them?
fresh water ready in drinker, does this need the ACiderVinegar? (food and water in run? or in coop next to perches?)
grit in grit pot wired at side of run to prevent tipping over?

do i need to give them mixed corn or anything else before they go to bed or are the pellets alone ok? do i put them in coop or the run?

reckon i may be on here tomorrow with 20 questions, cheers in advance!! happy days  :)

Claire  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: It all starts tomorrow....
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 23:12 »
Hi Claire, you seem well prepared. 

If you haven't handled hens before ask to be shown how to and have a go when you pick your girls up.  Make sure there is enough ventilation in their travelling accomodation as they can overheat easily.  Mine smelt awefull on the way home as they had been kept in a smelly barn.  They were fine after about a day.

Feeders and drinkers in run, they don't need it in coop as it will get soiled.  If you can hang them up or place on bricks they will be at a better height for the hens.

I would leave all the treats for a couple of days, just feed layers pellets.  They should be fine in the run to have a feed and drink before dark.  If your new hens haven't been kept together before they might fight.  If they do it would be best to let each one have a drink and put them in the coop with the pop hole closed until morning.  If they don't fight you can put a lit torch in the coop it should encourage them to go in when it starts to get dark.  You may have to lift them onto the perches for a few nights for them to get the hang of things.

Let them out at about 7 am, if they are fighting make sure you have more than one drink and feed station so the bullied ones get a chance to drink and feed.  Don't need anything fancy just a small container will do.

Have a great time collecting your hens.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 23:23 »
Ah thanks for your advice ANHBUC  :)

yes i thought it may be a good idea to ask how i pick them up and have a go doing that whilst at the breeders place, thanks for the reminder! i have a large cardboard box with large holes, or 2 x bread crates one inverted over the other will take both see whats best once there

they have neen raised in the same pen, 2 are sisters so hopefully that will help settling them as they are not strangers though this will be a new place to them all, will just let them have the pellets to start then thats fine thanks for confirming that, will make sure we have a torch to hand to hopefully settle them in at night, thanks really appreciate your advice will let you know how it goes tomorrow and get some pics too, i cannot wait hehe  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 23:58 »
The bread crates sound good as long as they are not too large (don't want them flapping about and injuring themselves), but would suggest you make a cardboard lining for the bottom as they generally poo quite a bit on the journey.  Car window slightly open for ventilation (for you as much as the hens).   :tongue2:     :lol:

Looking forward to the photos.

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 22:12 »
 :) Hello!! well we all got home safe and sound this afternoon, the girls had a nice travel (cardboard with some woodchip) box provided by the breeder with air holes etc and were very settled all the way back and I just blamed my OH for a whiff that emanated at one point hehe  :lol:

we got our 3 orpingtons (1 x white/1 x gold lace/1 x crele) home safely, and honestly, it was like bringing a new addition to the family home :), my sister and nephews and niece turned up to meet them!! and we put them into the run and one sat on the ladder and the two sisters pottered about and they were really relaxed and then they are did big poops all over the lawn that i had cut short specially (as suggested to avoid sourcrop) and i just laughed at the realisation they are going to wreck my garden, they found some worms and tucked in and all had some food (layers pellets) from their feeder, though they didnt have anything to drink from their waterer yet that i saw.

anyway once it started to get dark and none of the girls had gone into the coop/perches on their own they all huddled under the coop and looked to be falling asleep were so sweet, we had to pick them up and put them on the perches, i was quite nervous might sound silly if you know what you are doing but as its all new to me i just didnt feel very  confident picking them up didnt want to hurt them, but they are all tucked up safe and sound and i cant wait to see them in the morning, thanks to everyone for your advice its really helped, will get some photos on tomorrow

nite

Claire  :D

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 00:07 »
You'll never forget this day.  Congratulations!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 08:35 »
Good morning :) well that was quite an unsettled night for me I kept waking wondering if the hens were ok and we woke early to let them out but so far only one has come out of the perching area and is now laying down under the coop, she looks fine wide eyed and calm, as do the other two but they have not had a drink or any food yet, i am aware this is a new environment for them so shall i just let them be and get on with it, or shall i encourage the other two out of the coop? they have fresh water, pellets and grit, should i give them some corn perhaps?

thanks for any advice

Claire  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:44 »
You haven't got their feed in their coop have you? If yes then please put it in the run and they will come out when they are ready to eat and drink. Don't bother with the corn until mid afternoon  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:49 »
Hi joyfull, thanks, yes the food has been put in the run and fresh water, i was advised not to put in the coop as it may get toppled over, one is now pecking around outside, the sisters are still having a lay in it would seem, so will leave them in peace and hopefully they will have a wander in their run at some point when they get the urge to have some breakfast

thanks

Claire

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 09:41 »
Good morning :) well that was quite an unsettled night for me I kept waking wondering if the hens were ok and we woke early to let them out but so far only one has come out of the perching area and is now laying down under the coop, she looks fine wide eyed and calm, as do the other two but they have not had a drink or any food yet, i am aware this is a new environment for them so shall i just let them be and get on with it, or shall i encourage the other two out of the coop? they have fresh water, pellets and grit, should i give them some corn perhaps?

thanks for any advice

Claire  :)

Relax Claire. They will soon find their way around their new home. They will eat and drink when they are hungry and thirsty. Sometimes less is more in life, don't try to force the pace. Spend time watching them and you will soon learn the ropes.  So long as they have food and water, a warm shelter and are not pecking each other 'til the blood runs then they are OK. The 2 sisters will be out when they are hungry.

They are real time wasters! I can watch them for hours if I let myself.
Have you named them yet?  It is a good idea to watch them for a while; their characters often suggest names!

Welcome to the world of chickens; you have just become hooked!

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 11:52 »
My girls took a little while to come out of their coop for a few days, once out they were fine and happily took themselves off to bed each evening. They are a great waste of time, but well worth it.

The two days I've never forgotten was their arrival and the first egg. Truly a day to be celebrated.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 12:20 »
There should be greetings cards - the first egg was a bigger thrill than my birthday that's for sure!

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 18:24 »
Hi, and good luck with your new venture..Aden..

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 20:33 »
 :D oh my first day with the girls hehe, my little niece who is 5 announced she likes the white one so i said that one can be her one, and she asked me 10 times to guess the name she had chosen, but i couldnt...she has called her Frances  :D our Crele orpington is called Ella and our gold laced is called Martha.

You are so right Nikkithefoot and Mrs Ball.....I have spent so long today watching them peck about, eat bugs and poo everywhere hehe  :happy: just getting to know them and really see them and their ways, I gave them a tablespoon of mixed corn this afternoon and they were over the moon scratching about, that was funny. They are funny when birds fly overhead too, very instinctive to sounds etc, yes i think i may become a total chicken hooked timewaster .........I already have a vision of a build project for a walk in area/run/smallholding/estate.......

Well Martha got herself to bed while the other two snuggled down outside again and i had to catch them and put them in the coop, it does make me anxious picking them up but its good practice, and they are so soft, i just dont want to stress them.

Ah its all good, am very happy, you have been such a good bunch and thank you for your continued support

Claire  :lol: i have been hooked by chickens hehe lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 20:39 »
your name is Claire and you're a chickenaholic  :D

xx
Incubation Starts

Started by rugbymad40 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 23:48
by muntjac
sad
Red mite - how long before relaying starts?

Started by Stablechooks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 25, 2010, 09:35
by Sassy
xx
The Chook home build starts at Christmas!

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 19:48
by woodburner
xx
New Mum Tomorrow!

Started by bellagirl on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 20:36
by Henlady

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 37 queries.