Wont get off nest

• 13 Replies

ganner

• Dorset
Wont get off nest
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:26 »
Hi all, its great the chooks have nearly all started, were getting 6 – 9 eggs a day & they are lovleyyyyyy.
Now I have noticed that Goldie is on the nest all the time I’ve tried to encourage her off but no she goes right back she will get the eggs & sit on them I have notice the odd broken shell, Not sure that's her doing that but what’s going on & what shall I do.

:wub:

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Wont get off nest
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:38 »
Sounds like she may be broody.

jennie hennie

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:30 »
My bantam 's always going broody! ::) Keep lifting Goldie off and if she doesn't get the message you might have to be tougher. Bluebell, my bantam, is sitting in a wire cat cage right now with food and water. At night I block up the nest boxes and let her back in.As mine free range I shut the coop off once the other 2 have laid and let her out of the cage. U sually takes 3 - 4 days and she stops being broody. Am keeping a diary this year to see the pattern, how many days laying, how many days broody and then how long before she starts laying again. 
 I know I need to get out more!! :lol:
I even let her hatch some eggs last year which was a great experience but it didn't stop her being broody as someone suggested,
Good luck with Goldie.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 15:06 »
Try to also remove eggs regularly from the nest box so she has none to sit on.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 20:31 »
Thanks very much I'll report back in a few days, its like she is in some sort of trance then comes out of it when I take her off

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 22:13 »
She maybe going broody, its thats the case just pick her of the nest and put her somewhere where she cant return for a while... Also she could be an egg eater if there as been cracked eggs found in the box/es??? Just watch her and see what see does!
X2 Black Rock's
                         = 4 FRESH EGGS EVERYDAY!!!
X2 Warren's

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 23:25 »
Thanks Jennie do I have to put her I the wire box (dogs when he was puppy) it's great I have put her in there for 1/2 day soon as I let her out she went back in the nest box. Do I put her in the box all day? Don't like calling it a cage.

jennie hennie

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 14:40 »
'Fraid so!
It may take 2 or 3 days and of being hard  :(   Don't forget to block off nest boxes at night.
Some people leave them in a 'box' at night too, I didn't and once she'd got up eaten, drank, had a little run around, pooed ect she went back in the naughty box.
It does depend on your set up and if you're around.

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:28 »
Think we sorted it I put in the box (wire cage arrrr) early 1 morning & left her there all day & forgot about her until 7 o'clock went to get her & put her back in the hen house now she just has a look now & again, I think the shock of being left there all day done the trick. thank you all very much. 

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 13:18 »
Our silkies take it in turns being broody. Sometimes they'll sit on and off for weeks. I lift them out for an hour or so each day and let them sit the rest if they want to. They're all fine and it's just their hormones so why not just leave her next time? It hasn't hurt our girls...the last silkie we lost died at over 8 years old...and still laying and being broody!
Judi

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 12:41 »
Hi, im also new to all this laying lark, and dont know if this is true or not,but anyway....I was told recently that hens dont become broody until they`ve laid at least 20 eggs in thier lifetime! Id like to know if this is true or not too, as I have a bantam that takes AGES on the nest when she lays...dont know if this helps ???

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 13:56 »
Hi, im also new to all this laying lark, and dont know if this is true or not,but anyway....I was told recently that hens dont become broody until they`ve laid at least 20 eggs in thier lifetime! Id like to know if this is true or not too, as I have a bantam that takes AGES on the nest when she lays...dont know if this helps ???

Did you mean to put 20 eggs as that is only three to four weeks of eggs.  They would be very young going broody if that was the case. 

Think all breeds and individual hens are different so there is no hard and fast rule.  Some of mine like to have a long rest in the nest box after laying but they are not broody (yet).

bood77

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 06:28 »
she is clucky she want babyies if you don't want any keep getting her of the nesti had a chook Queenie who was clucky and never hopped of the nest and she killed her self of hunger so kick her of the nest you don't want her to die like mine

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 13:54 »
AHH, but my bantams lay on average one egg every other day and sometimes have quite long rest periods in between! :) Maybe your right and it is just the hen herself and how she feels!

xx
hen wont get out the nest box

Started by jackie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 18:07
by themagicaltoad1
question
2 of my 10 chickens wont lay in nest boxes

Started by shez on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 19:02
by karlooben
xx
New hen wont lay in nest box as gets attacked will she cope?

Started by SamT on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 06:26
by joyfull
xx
old hen wont let new ones in!!

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 12:43
by Jones the Search

Page created in 0.743 seconds with 27 queries.