New hen wont lay in nest box as gets attacked will she cope?

• 7 Replies

SamT

I have introduced 2 new pol to a flock of 3. Only had them a week and one is laying already which is causing problems.

Unfortunately and rather bizarrely she picked a corner in the living room that she laid in she jumped off my lap and made a beeline for it. We gave her a box with sawdust in with the aim being we moved the box to the pen once she got used to it and have even put her in the nesting box but without fail she comes back to the same corner every time and ignores the box unless it's in her corner.

Because she's not part of the gang yet they do try and get her when she's in the hut so I can understand why she doesn't want to go in there yet and feels safe in the house but how can I get her to use the box in the pen so at least when I'm not here she's got somewhere to go.

I've shut the patio door and closed curtains to dissuade her but I can hear her headbutting the glass trying to get in. She even came thru the back door and found her way to this corner again which is very clever but I am concerned that when I lock them in the pen to go out she's going to stress out or will she give up and find a spot in the pen? They do have a raised area in the pen to allow escape from the older ones.

Will she give up and find another spot easily or are we in trouble

hen addict

I never introduce just one new bird. Hens are flock birds that need company of there own kind to feel secure.
What's happened in your case is that she has taken on you and your house as her flock companions and safety zone. As she is still young I would put her in a pen with a secure sleeping area as close to the other birds as possible, and let her bond with her own kind naturally. There are always problems introducing new birds into a flock but time and patience pay off. Let her mature a bit so she can defend herself when the time comes to mix with the others.
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

SamT

We did get 2 new chickens as recommended she gets on well with her companion and the old hens are accepting them quite quickly they don't chase them around as much,  last time we got 2 new hens it was riots for weeks so we doing extremely well this time altho the neighbours may disagree. I'll make sure she's got a nice comfy spot in the pen she's bound to use it when she gets desperate to lay. Thanks.

Casey76

I would stop them free ranging until the new hens recognise what is "home"

This can be difficult and tedious as I found out when I tried to stop mine from laying in the woodstore!  Tenacious things they are when they get an idea into their heads.

hen addict

Sorry I reread your post and realised you had two. It's the one that head butts the patio door that got my attention. They are such funny creatures arn't they. I've got a pen of four pol at the moment just coming into lay the other hens sense the immaturity of the new ones and go for it handbags at the ready through the wire, but once the POL go into  full lay and are just that bit older it's not nearly as bad just the new pecking order to establish. Keep them close but separated by wire and all will be well

8doubles

I have introduced 2 new pol to a flock of 3. Only had them a week and one is laying already which is causing problems.

Unfortunately and rather bizarrely she picked a corner in the living room that she laid in she jumped off my lap and made a beeline for it. We gave her a box with sawdust in with the aim being we moved the box to the pen once she got used to it and have even put her in the nesting box but without fail she comes back to the same corner every time and ignores the box unless it's in her corner.

Because she's not part of the gang yet they do try and get her when she's in the hut so I can understand why she doesn't want to go in there yet and feels safe in the house but how can I get her to use the box in the pen so at least when I'm not here she's got somewhere to go.
I've shut the patio door and closed curtains to dissuade her but I can hear her headbutting the glass trying to get in. She even came thru the back door and found her way to this corner again which is very clever but I am concerned that when I lock them in the pen to go out she's going to stress out or will she give up and find a spot in the pen? They do have a raised area in the pen to allow escape from the older ones.

Will she give up and find another spot easily or are we in trouble

She will fit in after a while, it is quite normal for a new hen to seek your protection while she is still getting hastle. :)
One of my young hens would be straight on my shoulder if a superior hen got too close !
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 17:36 by 8doubles »

Sassy

How many nest boxes do you have? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
as Casey  said stop the free ranging for a while. Also have more than one nest box and invest in some dummy eggs (either plastic, pot or rubber) and put one or two in each nest box. She will soon see that the nest boxes are the place to lay  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
hen wont get out the nest box

Started by jackie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 18:07
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Wont get off nest

Started by ganner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 13:54
by bantambonkers93
question
2 of my 10 chickens wont lay in nest boxes

Started by shez on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 19:02
by karlooben
xx
How will they cope when I am away?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 18:04
by Raven81

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 29 queries.