White Egg Layers

• 20 Replies

YoungChickenLover

White Egg Layers
« on: February 10, 2012, 21:42 »
Hi guys!! Just registered about 10 min ago, having been a avid reader of the forum. We are hoping to get some white egg layers in summer. We have been advised to go for some Minorcas, but have heard that the are not great layers. Are there any white eggers who are good layers???
Thanks?
Weasel and The Crew!!! :wub:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: White Egg Layers
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 00:06 »
If you want good white egg layers, you want something like the White Star.  They are a hybrid and will lay well for 2 years, including the winter usually.

Can be a bit flighty when they are young though.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:24 »
I second that!! I've got 2 and they lay large white eggs regularly.
Although a bit flighty to start they soon settle down and they've got really cheeky temperments. Love 'em....

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:15 »
I have silver spangled appenzeller spitzhaubens which are white egg layers - not prolific and they do stop over winter but their prettiness more than makes up for that  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 15:23 »
We have 2 bovan's white. I think they may be another name for the white star. They are very small dainty looking chickens. They are brilliant layers and have been reliable all through the winter.

Very large eggs, You really wouldn't think that such small birds could lay such large eggs.

They are are quite mad chickens tho'. Quite scatty and difficult to catch at first but if you perservere and get them used to eating from your hand they get more friendly and less scatty. They are not the friendliest of chickens tho'.  We call our 2 Scatty and Sparky for obvious reasons.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 15:44 »
Yes they are the same breed Mrs Ball!  But more people recognise the White Star name rather than their proper name   :) :)

Lovely birds!

Here's some I grew earlier!   :D
bovans white.jpg
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:01 by GrannieAnnie »

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 15:47 »
Here is a photo of the parents of Joy's Appenzellars, and a pic of our Exchequer Leghorns.  They also laid white eggs, but not prolifically and they are only bantam sized.

So again, it comes down to what you like!  :lol:

LOL, talk about opposites!!!!
our Appenzeller trio 001 (400 x 300).jpg
IMG_0009 (480 x 360).jpg
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 15:49 by GrannieAnnie »

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 17:37 »
If you can get hold of commercial leghorns, they will lay prolifically and produce large (upto 80g!) white shelled eggs :)

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 19:13 »
I have white leghorn bantams and they lay white eggs but they are tiny little things - the eggs and the chooks  ;)
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

zarazara

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 19:27 »
I once had some black leghorn hens which layed white eggs. i really liked them;am  seriously considering getting some more.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 01:14 »
Yes they are the same breed Mrs Ball!  But more people recognise the White Star name rathan their proper name   :) :)

Lovely birds!

Here's some I grew earlier!   :D

Yes Grannie Annie these are the birds we have.

They are lovely birds. I think they are like dainty ballerinas until they have a hissy fit at some of the other chooks or have a have a screeching fit at me because I have disturbed her in the hen house. So....... ballerinas with attitude!

Still blindingly good layers tho' and such big eggs!

We have called one of our black rocks Granny. She is top of the pecking order after me!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 10:05 »
As long as she isn't called Grannieannie, your safe Mrs B!!      :lol: ;) ;)

We bought a small breeding flock a year ago, just before I decided retirment was more interesting!  They were the parents of the Shaver blacks, which are the same cross as the black rocks.  The youngsters are laying really well, but OH gave the last 8 away to a chap in the village last September, so I have only got the 16 brown laying hens left now. 

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 11:12 »
No not called Grannie Annie, just Granny. The other 2 black rocks are called Nanny and Esme. So I do have a Nanny, Granny and Esme. I rather like alliteration.

I got our first chickens just before I retired too. DIdn't have a choice lost my voice for for 2 years and had to give up teaching early. Have chickens gave me a reason to get up in the morning and haven't looked back since. There are better things to do and everything worked out well. Still can't talk for very long periods at a time and have to manage the condition even after therapy for 2 years.  Hubby often has a grin in face when I have to shut up and rest the voice.LOL

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 13:22 »
Awww sorry to hear about the voice Mrs B!  Not good when you are a teacher by trade!  But at least hubby can't moan about his chatterbox wife eh?

Actually, we gave up raising so many chickens when I turned 61.  4 years ago we had up to 400/500 here at one time including the turkeys.  Long story that one though!   :(

YoungChickenLover

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 20:01 »
Thanks for the replies!! I am very keen on a Appenzeller, as a ornamental and for eggs, but can't find. Breeder. Any ideas wher  cold get a Silver Spangled Appenzeller hen??
Thanks!
Weasel and The Chooks

question
layers or a mix of corn and layers?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 12:44
by jamima
xx
best layers

Started by brookegard on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 10:34
by brookegard
xx
New layers

Started by jaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 17:50
by andreadon
xx
Layers pellets or other?

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 16:04
by Brambles

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 39 queries.