Warrens Chickens

• 6 Replies

ladyrose

Warrens Chickens
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:31 »
Hi all just ordered my chickens and there house from stoneleigh show on sunday they are called warrens does anybody have any information on these chickens as this will be my first time as a chicken keeper, i was thinking of putting the run on grass do these birds scratch the grass up i was told to put the house on a slab base and have a moveable run for them does that seem ok look forward to hear  from you all

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
Re: Warrens Chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:39 »
My ex-batts are Warrens and oh boy do they scratch. I let them free-range during the day and in return they have destroyed my lawn. I wouldn't have it any other way though, because you simply can't measure the pleasure they give. The moment I go outside I am swamped by the Ginger Crimewave - as I call them. When I come in, they hang around the back door waiting for an opportunity to sneak in and pinch the cat food. You are in for fun times ahead. :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 11:37 »
They are lovely birds and I believe good layers too. The grass won't last long in their run but provided part of the run is covered, the dried mud will soon become a dust bath for them which they love. You could slab any areas open to the rain or put bark chips down for them to scratch about in. A movable run would be great but not everyone has the room. Enjoy your chooks when they arrive, you'll soon find they all have their own characters.

Raven81

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 15:17 »
I have 4 warrens and can echo what is said above.

They scratch a lot and are into everything! They can be trained to come to a certain noise.

Ours are in a fixed run with just dirt in which I dig over every day.  When they free range they dig up all my gravel, but thats easy enough to fix and worth it for the hours of pleasure watching them.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Dopey113

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 16:15 »
Seriously dont become too friendly with them, they will take advantage of you, and pester you, mine now peck on the back door for tit bits, they have food, but they want what you eat!!
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Raven81

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 17:42 »
If you are trying to Google information, there's not an awful lot on Warrens, but if you search for Rhode Island Red you will find much more, and the care and requirements are the same.

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 18:21 »
Hi, I keep Warrens as well, they are a fantastic hen and clever with it. Very friendly and easy to handle,but they can scrat for England let me tell you.
But I dont care, and as posted by Raven81 the pleasure they give back makes it all worth it...Aden... :D

xx
Warrens

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 09:16
by WhatCameFirst
wink
Pol warrens

Started by Ellex on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 22:24
by joyfull
xx
what age do warrens lay?

Started by ryan4birch on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 28, 2008, 07:57
by ryan4birch
xx
Warrens

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 23:03
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.514 seconds with 36 queries.