Dwarf Rooting Stock for Plums etc.

• 2 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Dwarf Rooting Stock for Plums etc.
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:46 »
I posted a few days ago asking which variety of plum to plant in my veg garden, and thanks to the responses have chosen Victoria... however, I forgot to ask about rooting stock!  I'd found a nursery that grows theirs on VVA1 rooting stock which they say is what the commercial growers use; however, I had a leaflet in the post this morning with a brilliant money saving offer from a different nursery who use Pixie for their plums.  Can anyone tell me whether one is better than the other?  Thanks!

Trillium

Re: Dwarf Rooting Stock for Plums etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 16:22 »
Neither is better than the other. The only difference is that trees grown on V V A 1 stock are slightly shorter than others, maxing out at a 2.5 metre height when mature. Commercial growers prefer this size as its easier to pick (no ladders needed) and trees can be packed in closer. Its the new 'miniature' class of rootstock.

Pixy rootstock trees max out at 2.5 to 3 metres in height, which also increases their spread slightly so you'd plant a few less trees per row than the above rootstock.

The standard plum dwarf rootstock is St Juliens (SJA) which is 3.5 to 4 metres high when mature. You need space for this tree in an allotment or small garden.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Re: Dwarf Rooting Stock for Plums etc.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:36 »
Thanks, Trillium - the VVA1 sounds better for the space I have available, and also, as you say, for ease of picking - shame it's the nursery with the more expensive trees that's got this rooting stock!!  There's a special offer at a different nursery which is much cheaper, but they only have the Pixie or St Julien.  You pays yer money and takes yer choice I guess!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:40 by cheshirecheese »

xx
Plums on dwarf root stock?

Started by Amilo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 15, 2013, 19:58
by Amilo
xx
Rooting Gel

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2017, 00:01
by mrsbean
xx
Rooting Powder

Started by Jake on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 21:05
by Jake
xx
Rooting hormone

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 13:34
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.742 seconds with 30 queries.