Physically challenged but with big ideas!

• 12 Replies

Auntiemogs

Physically challenged but with big ideas!
« on: January 01, 2012, 22:34 »
Hi all,
I would love to have a lottie but don't feel I would do it justice as I just wouldn't have the wherewithall to keep up with it but I do love growing stuff!  :happy:
I have a small garden with two raised beds (1x5"x10" and 1 x 2"x20") and a small (8"x6") greenhouse, plus the loan of a 12"x20" greenhouse.
I have such plans for the growing season and have bought so many seeds you would think I have a smallholding!
I thought it would be nice to share tips/tricks on how to ease the burden of growing on a budget though physically/mentally/financially challenged, on a day to day basis.
Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Mags  :happy:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

gobs

Re: Physically challenged but with big ideas!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 23:11 »
Auntie, you do not sound anyway disfacilitated to me. All going on fire there.

We can be more help with planning if you say what you fancy growing/eating. Some place to play with there.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 00:04 »
Auntie, you do not sound anyway disfacilitated to me. All going on fire there.

We can be more help with planning if you say what you fancy growing/eating. Some place to play with there.
Thank you Gobs, I shall take that as a compliment!  :D
What I meant was not so much the planning out stage but the implementation stage i.e. tips for gardening for the wheelchair bound or people who can't bend in the middle (for example) or those who have little energy or inclination to do things on a regular basis. Get my drift?
As an example, I have very little energy/strength and I may not be able to water my seedlings on a regular basis.  So, I have bought some self watering propagators (which only need filling once or twice a week) and once I plant my seedlings out, I have an irrigation system (which I am hoping to extend with the help of a friend), or if I was growing in tubs, I could use watering spikes attached to drinking bottles. 
 :happy:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 12:30 »
Auntiemogs you sound very organised already, and I am impressed.

I have struggled physically this year and have great admiration for how inventively others cope with this.

I think it will be more a case of us learning from you  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rainie

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 13:25 »
Would something like this gadget bag be helpful, or something similar, maybe tied onto a small wheeled stool, so you can just spin it ar ound to get the desired tool form it. I was thinking of the blue or pink ones about the 7th picture down on this website.

http://www.barnstormers.co.uk/acatalog/Tack_Boxes_and_Tack_Bags.html  (this is an equestrian one but am sure there will be the same or similar much cheaper on a non equine site.

I agree I think we will be learning from you.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 13:30 »
I got given off freecycle a plastic toolbox with loads of trays and compartments in, it came with its own set of wheels and a pull along handle so something like that may be an alternative to the tack box (and best of all it was free  :D)   :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 20:58 »
I have a severe rheumatic condition but it doesn't stop me growing my own. I take things very slowly, I use thick mulches of compost so no digging and my most invaluable aid is a kneeler which doubles as a seat if turned the other way.

I have potting benches at the correct height for standing and long-handled pruners for the trees so I need to bend and stretch as little as possible.

If you google something like 'disabled gardening' you'll find loads of helpful aids and information.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 22:37 »
Wow! I never would have thought to look on an equine site raine!  :happy: Those grooming kit bags look like they'd be just the ticket for hanging on the back of a wheelchair or slinging across your shoulder. Loads of space for tools and 'stuff' and in pink too!
Even better to get stuff for free joyfull  :D and a wheelie box sounds ideal for moving stuff around.  :happy:
It's amazing how we adapt to get stuff done sunshine and solway (where there's a will there's a way) and it's great that you've managed to keep up with your growing. Think I might take a look at 'no dig' gardening for my raised beds and the large greenhouse (beats having to ask someone else to do it for me).  :happy:
You guys are a real inspiration! Lets hope we all have a better year health-wiseand our veggies grow like triffids.  :blink:

Agatha

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 12:42 »
The charity Thrive has some very good info on gardening for people with various disabilities or physical limitations. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 20:31 »
The charity Thrive has some very good info on gardening for people with various disabilities or physical limitations. 

They are based close to where I live and some years ago they came to school for an assembly, which the children were very interested by.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 20:38 »
Auntiemogs have you looked into community gardens in your area they often have high raised beds especially for wheelchair users?
Faff free zone!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 20:42 »

They are based close to where I live and some years ago they came to school for an assembly, which the children were very interested by.
Thanks Agatha and Sunshine, I shall look them up on the squintynet. Always hoping to pick up a few tips. :-)
Cheers bazh, I'm not in a wheelchair myself but I'm sure this info will be useful to others.  :D

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 23:26 »
I'm also restricted in my ablility to move around the plot - one thing I'm investing in is soft fruit bushes - much less maintenance and much less bending down!! Also, very very delicious...

xx
any ideas please??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 15:36
by whiskywill
xx
Any different ideas anyone?

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 02, 2021, 04:00
by Snowboar
xx
Some Ideas Please!

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 13:58
by teabreak
xx
No dig and other 'new' ideas...

Started by Fishplate42 on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post January 22, 2021, 13:03
by bobbyt

Page created in 0.644 seconds with 37 queries.