What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1605 on: June 23, 2012, 20:03 »
At the plot this afternoon I cut the grass, weeded and then fed the onions, picked peas, radishes, strawberries and thinned out the lettuces. Also cut down some plum tree suckers and errant raspberry and blackberry stalks from around my currant bush.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1606 on: June 24, 2012, 00:41 »
At the Little Pink Bungalow I stapled an opened out plastic compost bag in the bottom of a bottomless wooden half-barrel then filled it with old compost. Next I added a small mimosa tree (from a cousin in France) and several jumbo flowered fuchsias as well as a few coleus.

The old Butler sink is now home to more coleus and several purple and white osteospermum (Cape Daisies).

Hopefully no one will have the muscles to pinch the lot from the front garden.  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yana

« Reply #1607 on: June 24, 2012, 07:50 »
Did a huge tidy up yesterday, tying in tomatoes in the greenhouse, pulling radishes that had gone past their best and sowing lettuce in their place, planted out more peas, sat back and admired the hard work
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1608 on: June 24, 2012, 08:48 »
went up allotments yesterday dug over three large beds and planted out my leeks ,can never have enough leeks , planted out some more cabbages two types picked more strawberries few cups tea and chats all in all a very good day :D :D
keep allotments alive grow your own

jmc1949

« Reply #1609 on: June 24, 2012, 13:19 »
This morning I've been tidying the garden following the recent wind and rain. Deadheaded the roses which have had their petals blown off and those that have petals are brown. Fuschia's and poppies have been flattened and stems broken, so collected them and put in the composter. Infact all my taller plants have taken a battering. :(

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #1610 on: June 24, 2012, 17:59 »
sprinkled some blue death pellets for the slugs then tied up the french beans and runners.
Still slow going here but maybe the sunshine will perk up my sweetcorn!

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Charityuk

« Reply #1611 on: June 24, 2012, 19:47 »
Furtled around potatoes but nothing worth harvesting :(

Removed about 6 more barrowloads of disgusting old carpets (remembered to bring  a knife this time).  Also lots of bindweed and buttercups.  Hoed around leeks and sweetcorn, re-weeded the empty half bed and planted out the Queensland Blue pumpkin plant. Fingers crossed.

Harvested 2 globe artichokes from a plant we found in the wilderness area (half the plot).

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #1612 on: June 24, 2012, 19:52 »
Removed a cucumber that had committed suicide in the polytunnel. Cleared out some plants that are surplus to requirements, tied up the tomatoes. Planted up some pots with excess squash, tidied up the lettuces, sowed some autumn king carrots and lettuce salad leaves. Weeded at the lotty and got four sacks full! Re-stringed the broad beans and gave some feed to the plants that needed it.
I have had to bin a lot of brassicas as the ground is waterloggedwhere they are.  :unsure:

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1613 on: June 24, 2012, 21:22 »
Well I must say I'm very excited!  Today I picked over 1lb of strawberries.  Yippee, they are gorgeous.  Also picked some broad beans and sowed some radishes, chicory and beetroot.  Hoping for sun this week, had enough of this rain.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1614 on: June 24, 2012, 21:30 »
Didn't make it today, but yesterday we:

- Rebuilt brassica cage destroyed by high winds
- Fed all the tomatoes and strawberries (after harvesting)
- Finished another lasagne bed ready for planting this week
- Cleared the onion and shallots bed
- Harvested half the garlic
- Lots more harvesting of other stuff too:

Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Countryman_uk

« Reply #1615 on: June 25, 2012, 12:20 »

Saturday was not a bad day, dug a few Potatoes up for tea, did a little bit of shimming around the plot, in the poly tunnel i pulled a few spring onions, beetroot , checked the rest of my tomatoe plants for blight, no sign which is good, potted on another 5o peppers into bigger pots, ,sunday was a wash out rained most of the day, did a little work in polytunnel and had a clean up

grendel

« Reply #1616 on: June 25, 2012, 17:18 »
popped down for a quick hour of path cutting and weeding, seeing as I only have garden shears to trim the paths with I did quite well.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
« Reply #1617 on: June 25, 2012, 18:27 »
harvest 
small pallet of strawberries
4 red onions  harvest as i need them
5lb of new potatoes from 3 plants there so lovely just a light rub and the skins full off  :D
some broad  beans  for him in doors i don't like them don't even like cooking them but he will be pleased

weeded round the carrots 
had to bin all the radishes as they had started to flower with no radishes just thick long roots
got some baby sweet peppers  can't decide weather to keep them in the greenhouse or put out side leaf keep on curling over  :unsure:

must remember to pick some cucumbers tomorrow forgot them today

my other sister came to the allotment to day she was very impressed  :tongue2:

allotmentann

« Reply #1618 on: June 25, 2012, 20:31 »
Had a lovely day on the plot. Weeded all the beds. Planted out some swiss chard. Pulled a couple of red onions. Spent ages continuing the removal of the grass patch - getting there slowly. Planted hyssop a plot neighbour gave me. Staked some 'dwarf' french beans, that turned out to be climbers! Trimmed whole pile of hazel prunings ready to be used as canes. Cleared lots of rubbish. Still keep finding stuff when I think I have cleared everything. Added to my brick paths as I had managed to get hold of a few more bricks. Watered plants in blow away greenhouses. Green manure mustard growing well, but covered in flea beetle (glad it is not for eating!).

jmc1949

« Reply #1619 on: June 25, 2012, 20:40 »
Planted some All-Year-Round Cauliflowers, Outdoor Cucumber Marketmore. Harvested enough potatoes for tea, some strawberries and a Hispi cabbage.
Mowed the paths, then chatted to three other plot holders.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 28 queries.