Sowing Parsnips in January Query

• 41 Replies

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
Sowing Parsnips in January Query
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:42 »
In the latest edition of GYO it suggests getting a head start on your parsnips by sowing them in a polytunnel in January in cardboard loo roll holders, and planting them out complete with holder in April.

Has anyone had any success with this method and if so, can they give me some more details please. For example, do you fill the loo roll holders with compost and stand them up in a tray?

Any feedback would be most welcome. :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Sowing Parsnips in January Query
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:49 »
Why bother?

A direct sowing in the ground in April when the ground is warmer produces large parsnips.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:01 »
tried the presowing several times and got forked roots every time  ???
reckon straight in the ground is best. If you feel like getting a earlier start try covering the ground to warm the soil! prob will make no difference but you feel you are doing something that might :D
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

Gandan57

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:45 »
The trouble with growing them in cardboard tubes, is that by the time you see the seed leaves emerging, the root is already nearly at the bottom of the tube. If the parsnip isn`t transplanted without delay the root end with become damaged leading to forking.

I grew them this way this year, and like DD says, it`s not really worth the effort, and mine have ended up with the canker.

Next year they will be grown like carrots, in a block covered with mesh. I shall be growing Lancer mini parsnips and the seed came from Dobies, just 60p a packet.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:57 »

Has anyone had any success with this method

Sowing in January or sowing them in loo rolls?

January seems a bit early but I can see the logic - parsnips can take about 3 weeks or more to germinate, especially if the temperatures are low so you should end up with seedlings at about the same time others are just starting to sow.

I use loo rolls and stand them up in mushroom trays to start off parsnips, sowing about 3 seeds per roll and then pinching out the 2 weakest seedlings.  This way I'm sure of germination when I plant them out.  However, parsnip roots grow long fairly quickly so by the time you notice the seedling emerging, the root has already grown beyond the loo roll length.  When you do plant them out, the end of the root will be disturbed and this contributes to fanging or to the ball-shaped parsnip rather than the long root you expect.

So to start off in January and hope to plant in April will probably be too late IMO.  Perhaps a mid-late March sowing might be best, or do as others have suggested and sow direct in April.

and mine have ended up with the canker.

is this not due to low soil pH and the variety lack of resistance to canker rather than growing in loo rolls?  The only time I got canker was the first time I grew parsnips by sowing direct, but now I lime the soil to raise the pH which seems to help.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:03 »
Don't forget that carrot fly also go for parsnips. The damage caused can let in canker and it's not evident that this is the cause of the problem, (I'm not saying this is the only cause).

For this reason, I grow them alongside my carrots, under the same piece of Enviromesh.

lacewing

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 12:43 »
I agree with DD. I would not even think of sowing parsnips until april. And as parsnips are said to taste better after a frost, it makes sense to sow later. If sown too early, you end up with hugh roots, which have a core that may be useful if you are building a shed.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 12:55 »
Thanks all, love this forum - I will wait!!  :blink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 15:47 »
and despite the view about the length of time parsnips take to germinate, later sowings in slightly warmer soil geminate faster and soon catch up ... no rush!

Just make sure you have nice new seed  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 16:22 »
I found that late sowing in a tube, then transplanted, formed the best roots, although a bit smaller.

As mentioned earlier, do three seeds and pinch them out to one plant, but be wary, as the tap root will be well away when you think the leaves are too tiny to consider as growing properly. Just check if the tap root is poking out at the bottom. If it is, then get 'em in asap!

As DD says though, watch out for carrot fly, and try and transplant the tubes during a dormant period if you can.

Next (this new) year, I'm going the whole hog and making special planting funnels for them. This year's were far too squonky, although they taste pretty good after an hour of cleaning up...

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 19:36 »
If you grow them in tubes and make holes to plant them in by banging in a spike and moving it around to make a conical hole, the roots tend to keep to the shape of the hole, and do not fork even if they have gone out of the bottom of the tube, (as long as they have not gone too far). Fill the hole with good growbag compost, or similar.

Babstreefern

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 20:07 »
I totally agree with DD.  Why bother with all the messing about.  Just stick the seeds in the ground in April, and leave them to get on with growing. :blink:

Last year (well this year anyway), for the first time, I grew my peas straight in the ground instead of putting the seeds in my root trainers, then planting out later.  I got a heck of a lot more and better tasting peas.   :D
Babs

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 06:30 »
Way to go, Babs! It's far easier to roll with nature isn't it?

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 06:31 »
Way to go, Babs! It's far easier to roll with nature isn't it?

...and at 6.30 in the morning DD...;0)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 06:35 »
This is late for me!

xx
Sowing tomatoes in January?

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post January 14, 2014, 13:20
by Robster
xx
broccoli sowing query

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 11:04
by AmandaLouise
xx
sowing parsnips in may

Started by myplot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 16:25
by sunshineband
xx
Re-sowing of parsnips

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 06:10
by Steveharford

Page created in 0.533 seconds with 36 queries.