Sowing tomatoes in January?

• 29 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Sowing tomatoes in January?
« on: January 03, 2014, 15:30 »
Hi all,

I noticed that John's month by month guide for January mentioned that you could put tomotoes / aubergines in an heated propagator in January.
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-month-help/garden-january.php

I was (possibly) a little late getting mine going last year - but January seems very early to me - I'd have thought that lack of light after germination would be a big issue. (To be fair, John's guide seems to imply that you 'can' rather than 'should' plant seed this month).

Do others have success with toms sown in January?  :unsure:

Cheers,
Balders

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 18:13 by Baldy »

trunk monkey

Re: Sowing tomatos in January?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 15:55 »
I agree with you on the light issue Balders. However, a friend of mine sows his tomatoes on boxing day. He then keeps them underwatered, cramps their roots and generally gives them a hard time. I jokingly, refer to this as the Bonzai technique. Come the warmer weather and longer daylight hours he pots them on and feeds and waters them. He claims the tomatoes then go wild and grow and crop like crazy. I have tried it myself but with poor results. Anybody else got an opinion on this?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 15:57 »
The earlier you start anything very tender, the more facilities and space you need to keep them happy until they can be moved to their final planting place.

Aubergines are probably a better bet than tomatoes this early as they need a long growing season to deliver the goods, although a forum search will tell you that few people find them at all easy however and whenever they try.  :(
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 16:05 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 16:20 »
Largest aubergine I've ever managed was about the size of a golf ball. Along with melons they are scratched from my list of growables. Sometimes its best to know when you are beaten...  :(

Cheers,
Balders

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 16:24 »
Baldy, aubergines are off my list too  :lol:  I know when  I am beaten!

Regarding the tomatoes being sown now, I did this a few years back little realising that a) they need decent light of they get straggly and b) they take up masses of space indoors.

In fact I ended up sowing some more in mid March, which soon caught the others up, looked much healthier and cropped far better overall.

So now I sit on my hands and wait  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 16:29 »
Baldy, aubergines are off my list too  :lol:  I know when  I am beaten!

same here  ::)

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 16:34 »
susnshineband - its the sitting on my hands that I'm really having trouble with - think I might have to do some engineering work on the plot rather than planting.
The weather is perhaps hinting to me that now would be a good time to get the pond done that I've been thinking about - wouldn't take long to get it filled (though the digging out could be hard going).  ;)

Cheers,
Balders

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 17:14 »
i started mine at the end feb (i think last year) and they grew very big before being able to plant out. think it's too early atm, and can't see you getting any huge gain.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 17:43 »
susnshineband - its the sitting on my hands that I'm really having trouble with - think I might have to do some engineering work on the plot rather than planting.
The weather is perhaps hinting to me that now would be a good time to get the pond done that I've been thinking about - wouldn't take long to get it filled (though the digging out could be hard going).  ;)

Cheers,
Balders

Sort your seeds, wash your trays and pots, plan where what will grow throughout the coming season, shovel chipped bark on your paths, sow some onions seeds inside, and some early mixed salad if you have a greenhouse, and (my latest thing) micro-greens on the windowsill or even beansprouts.

Suddenly it'll be all go, and you will be absolutely ready, Baldy  ;)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 17:48 »
I'm giving grafting a go this year just for fun, but can't find any info on when to sow my rootstock and scion-aubg.  as the Aubs are so slow may get them going soon before the root.   It'll be a bit of guesswork.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Sowing tomatoes in January?
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 18:09 »
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=825 - a little info about grafting - looking at the rootstock seeds Aegis F1 & Estamino F1 suppliers don't seem to provide detail about when to plant - so the RHS advice of 'a few days' before the cultivar
is all I could find to go on.
I was thinking about grafting last year - maybe I WILL give it a go this year - perhaps I don't know when I'm beaten...  :lol:

Cheers,
Balders
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 18:14 by Baldy »

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 19:30 »
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=825 - a little info about grafting - looking at the rootstock seeds Aegis F1 & Estamino F1 suppliers don't seem to provide detail about when to plant - so the RHS advice of 'a few days' before the cultivar
is all I could find to go on.
I was thinking about grafting last year - maybe I WILL give it a go this year - perhaps I don't know when I'm beaten...  :lol:

Cheers,
Balders
Yes that's what I got too.  Only doing it for a laugh as all the online stuff says Aubs grown this way are really good.  Just a bit of fun.  Will do Aub first tho due to slow growth rate compared to Aegis.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 01:56 »
My grafted cukes and aubs were amazing last year. Loads of fruits.
Grafted toms did no better than seed sown ones imho ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 09:08 »
I had great success with growing early toms in 2012, I think it was.  We had an early warm spring and everything carried on growing well, although it invoved a lot of work - shunting plants out to the greenhouse, for the day, then back into the house for the night.
Obviously it didn't work last year, with the freezing spell we had in March, even the windowledge wasn't a happy place for little plants :(

I will sow just a couple of seeds of a small growing variety, in a few weeks - it's pot luck on the weather if the plan works or not. I'd never waste time and money sowing loads!

I found the early Tomato Experiment which had very mixed results. It may be worth a read if you have itchy fingers!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=87470.msg970195#msg970195
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:35 by mumofstig »

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 09:13 »
I'm thinking exactly the same as you mum ;)

xx
Sowing Parsnips in January Query

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 15:15
by azubah
xx
What to do in January - 1721

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 17, 2007, 19:21
by ytyynycefn
xx
rotavating in january??

Started by scottishislandlass on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 08:08
by Gwiz
xx
Whitefly in January!!!!!

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 15:29
by brucesgirl

Page created in 0.631 seconds with 38 queries.