Feeling so guilty now.

• 11 Replies

Beano

Feeling so guilty now.
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:52 »
I cleaned out the coop yesterday morning and as I normally do I closed the hatch at the same time to stop the wind blowing straight through.
Went to deliver Christmas prezzies and stayed a little longer than I meant to. It was dark by the time we got home and I went to check the chickens as soon as. Three of them were huddled together at the top of the ramp next to the CLOSED hatch. One was missing.
We managed to persuade the three to go in and went searching for the other. My mind was racing and the guilt was unbearable and then we found Poppy huddled under the bushes.
We were so relieved but it could have been so different and it would have been all my fault.
As I let them out this morning I was watching out for signs of stress. Poor little things, they must have had a very stressful time trying to get into the coop.
Still feeling very guilty and would have been feeling even worse if a fox had managed to get at them. That was a cheap lesson learnt!! I will NEVER do that again.
El.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: Feeling so guilty now.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:13 »
Easy done, wouldnt beat your self up about it!

Easy lessons like that should be taken!  The hens wont remember by tommorow morning!

Out of intrest, why do you close the coop during the day?  Can you just rotate the door away from direct wind?
I hate signatures but love irony

Beano

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:20 »
Thanks Lewjam. I close the coop door when I'm cleaning it out only. 1. Because they tend to come in and nose around as I'm doing so. 2. Because when I clean out the nest boxes at the back on the coop it causes a through draft if the hatch is open. I usually remember to open the hatch once I've finished. Forgot yeasterday.

Raven81

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 10:26 »
Remember chickens were originally "designed" to live outside.

We've all done stuff like that (I once shut our rottweiler out the front as I didn'e see him :wub:) They'll be ok, you'll be far more traumatised then they are, and it was an honest mistake.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:43 »
I have also done this to my chickens. I also felt very guilty. Had a hard job getting them in, like they were frozen to the top of the ramp.

I knew about it the next day, no eggs for breakfast.

However soon forgotten if not forgiven.  ;)

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 13:51 »
Know what you feel about guilt. I put their water in the outside run while they were roaming. Put them in the secure run early afternoon as I was going out till after dark but forgot to put their water in. Next morning, they were't bothered about their pellets but made a beeline for the water.
Poor girlies, they were sooooo thirsty :(. Lesson learnt - I don't want dehydrated chooks!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 14:02 »
hey I've even forgotten to let some of mine out in the morning (too many coops  ::)) until tea time when I went to give them their treats so don't worry they will forgive you and luckily no harm came to them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

evie2

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 21:07 »
It's easily done, chickens don't hold grudges :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Casey76

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:05 »
I once locked two of mine out (accidentally), and they were out overnight.  I only realised the following morning when they greeted me at the gate as I went out to let them out!

They came to no harm ;)

Most chickens, if given a chance, would prefer to  up a tree anyway.  Even in this weather, they aren't going to get cold, because when they snuggle down their chest feathers cover their toes :)

Don't worry about it  :blink:

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 20:48 »
I've done the same - shut chickens out, forgotten to let them out in the morning, shut a dog outside overnight (it was summer, thank goodness) - you feel guilty and remember not to do it again, but they don't hold it against you!

I always leave the pop-hole open when I'm cleaning out as it makes me laugh when they walk in to check what I'm up to, just like Hyacinth Bucket checking up on the cleaner!  I love it that they choose to come that close to me.

Don't worry - they'll survive and will have forgotten it already!
ManicMum

hen maiden

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 09:38 »
Well I took my three older children to school one day and on the way home in the car realised I'd left their little brother behind in the playground !!!!

evie2

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 10:19 »
 :lol: :lol:

xx
Feeling guilty - urgent advice

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 11:07
by MrsTruper
xx
My girls are making me feel guilty

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 22:53
by Porffor
sad
Feeling Sorry for the Rats

Started by Bev on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 13:53
by Bev
xx
Feeling terrible for hen

Started by Ruby Red on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 23:29
by conventgirl

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 30 queries.