Feeling guilty - urgent advice

• 5 Replies

Silkysmooth

Feeling guilty - urgent advice
« on: May 04, 2011, 16:24 »
Hi All,

Was recommended to get anti pecking bits from the domestic fowl trust and have fitted them onto my birds. Since yesterday they have hardly eaten a thing and look to struggle when eating. The pecking is very bad and the girls have all got red raw bits on them. I'd like to use an alternative that is not so invasive as the poor things look miserable! Is this ukadex spray any good as I have tried other antI pecking sprays with no luck whatsoever! There are currently 14 birds together in a very large run. Advice would really be appreciated as I want to whip these anti pecking bits straight out if possible or some reassurance that it will get better.

Thanks

Andy

Casey76

Re: Feeling guilty - urgent advice
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 16:46 »
Give them a few days to get used to the bits forts before removing them again :)  They will get used to the m *nods*

Silkysmooth

urgent
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 20:17 »
Yes I know I'm a big softy but don't want to put any unnecessary strain on them! :(

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 21:30 »
A few days on reduced rations while they figure out how to eat with the bits in won't do them any harm ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 21:36 »
Like Casey said, try a bit longer with the beak bits, we had them on a couple of hens once, but if you do give up with them, then ukadex is good, it works with our white chicks, which are the worst ones for pecking at around 7-9 weeks when they are moulting and getting their new tail feathers.

ukadex doesn't always work with the turkeys, but the chickens hate it.  I've just found out that Wells Poultry no longer sell it because they reckon some of their customers didn't like the fact that the instructions were in French! 

Instructions?  take off lid, aim, squirt!  :lol: :lol:  Even I managed that bit! lol  But they sell Scarper now, which they say is the same stuff,but a little cheaper.  Saying that though, Regency Poultry sell ukadex for £11.99 + p&p

Hope you get them sorted, I still hate to see them pecking each other!

MrsTruper

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 11:07 »
If you are confident they have been fitted correctly then just leave them in.  My hen went CRAZY after I fitted it.  She started bleeding because of constant scratching to remove it.  It freaked me out but I left it in and I'm happy I did. 

xx
Feeling so guilty now.

Started by Beano on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 10:19
by evie2
xx
Feeling sorry for herself, advice required

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 14:52
by Hengist
xx
URGENT advice please

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 10:47
by poultrygeist
xx
URGENT - Help/advice please!

Started by cammi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 22:37
by OpiumEater

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 28 queries.