my Bluebell isn't very chicken like :0/

• 9 Replies

rosie14

my Bluebell isn't very chicken like :0/
« on: December 03, 2011, 17:32 »
Hi we got a 16 week old Bluebell about 3 or 4 weeks ago now to keep our lone GL Orpie company over winter until we get some day olds or such to bring on in the spring.

Anyway she is as flighty as hell even after all this time and even our scatty WS wasn't as bad as this, she also free ranges every day with the young orpie for an hour or two when we can watch them but hasn't managed to pick up normal chook behaviour such as scratching about, she pecks and eats grass but with lots of leaves everywhere she does nothing but follow the Orpie who gets well and truly stuck in.

The Bluebell came from a shed full of chooks locally, my hubby said they were fairly crowded  :wacko: but looked healthy and well cared for. Her lack of instinct suprise me as the Orpie and her2 foster sisters came to us at 3 days old from an incubator set up straight into my brooder set up with broody hen (her eggs failed to hatch) and then came out with mum and scratched immediately and had no one showing them what to do it was instinct end of. Is it because the bluebell is a hybrid????? Although that said my dads ex batts always 'learn' to scratch about very quickly indeed even those with deformed feet from the cages  :( is my Bluebell really a choock, will she learn in time???

rachelr

Re: my Bluebell isn't very chicken like :0/
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 17:56 »
maybe she has airs and graces after all she might get her claws dirty if she digs too deep. Just think what that would do to he nice nails lol :D

rosie14

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 18:19 »
pmsl  :lol: you just could have hit the nail on the head there rachelr ;0)

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 07:37 »
When we got our 3 POL hens there was one a pied suffolk who was smaller than the others and she behaved like yours she would be up on the 7 ft hedge after launching from chairs etc, she ran round like a mad thing, but now she has grown up and started to lay she has calmed down and behaves like a chicken, scratching about, she was just young ahh. ;)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 19:34 »
If she has come from a barn rosie she might just be so happy having freedom and grass to eat.  I am sure her natural instincts will kick in soon, especially if she sees your other hens getting tasty morsels like worms.  All of our hens were from barns and they were quite nervous seeing birds flying overhead as well as helicopters, planes and did not know what to make of the local squirrel!
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Dominic

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 13:57 »
Incubator eggs arent "taught" how to be chickens, but they manage it.
She might have a foot injury, but its more likely she just cant be bothered.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

rosie14

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:43 »
If she has come from a barn rosie she might just be so happy having freedom and grass to eat.  I am sure her natural instincts will kick in soon, especially if she sees your other hens getting tasty morsels like worms.  All of our hens were from barns and they were quite nervous seeing birds flying overhead as well as helicopters, planes and did not know what to make of the local squirrel!

Ahhhh you're probably right and she's just happy to be out but she has such an 'I'm lost, what am I, what do I do' puzzled look on her face lol! I'm still so suprised to not see her scratching about after 4 weeks of having her and her daily jaunts into the 'big bad world!' I'm sure in time it will come, but I remain shocked the silly young thing isn't more instinctual like the Orpington was.

I know it's early days but after getting the WS and the Orpie from a similar set up (crowded pens in barn/shed) even though both were just 16 weeks we have definitely decided to either borrow my dad's incubator or cut that bit out and get some day olds, I have the lamp etc here already. Their temperements are so much better, I think the others weren't used to being handled obviously as there wee so many, that said our 16 week Orpie came from the same set up and was fab. after a while, but they say that Orpie are great 'pets' and we have found them the best by far  :blink:. The WS was a year when we lost her and was still a scatty young thing although would gingerly hand feed ok. Bring on the warmer weather and fluffy little chick season  8)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:53 »
You get all different temperaments in the same breed just like humans, some shy and some bold.  I have tried not to handle mine too much to keep their wild instincts in case of any danger.  Makes it more of a challenge to catch them sometimes but atleast they are still wary.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 20:56 »
I agree about the different temperaments.  One of my favourite passtimes (a real time-waster actually!) is to go to an area of dirt under an old tree and start scratching with a stick.  All the chickens will come and start scratching too - all that is except one Barnevelder whio will stand very, very close by my hand waiting for me to do the hard work so she can have the reward!

When she was much younger, she used to stand by me and if I hadn't dug up an interesting bug for a while she would peck me really hard on the back of the hand!  >:(  Cheeky little madam!

The thing is, she won't dig for herself.  I don't think she likes to spoil her manicure.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 07:05 »
HeHE! lol i havent got an idle chuck  :D althoue sometimes i wish they all were the mess they make of my garden  :D
Chicken crazy

xx
bluebell

Started by teal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2012, 18:32
by joyfull
xx
Bluebell's unwell

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 18:48
by hillfooter
xx
bluebell hens

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 23:09
by GrannieAnnie
question
Bluebell cockerel

Started by Xxluke11xX on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 09:03
by Casey76

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 27 queries.