Thinking of trying

• 5 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Thinking of trying
« on: November 22, 2011, 23:22 »
Hi
I'm thinking of try these and grow them yet?

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-1001011-cc-1/midget-fruit-tree-collection/

if so have you had much of a yield of them?

thanks.
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Thinking of trying
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 06:39 »
They look very similar to the ballerina trees I bought Mr Sunny about five years ago. We have an apple, two pears and a cherry.

Tbh they needed so much water in pots (even huge pots) that we planted them in the ground.

We get about a dozen decent sized apples off the tree, the pears have been less prolific and the cherry gives us about two bowlfuls (bowl is 1.5l size)

So ... they are better than no trees at all  :D but won't make you self sufficient in top fruit

Pruning is easy too :)

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:07 »
thanks, might think twice now, I'm after some verily cheap fruit trees that only grow 2m maximum anyone out there got any good contacts/site?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:50 »
Not sure how much they cost now but B&Q sold loads of semi dwarf rootstock fruit trees - they cost £9.99p but with 25% off at the time (round about Easter nearly 10 years ago), I got carried away and bought 13 fruit trees (different apple varieties, pear, plum, cherry)  I do have the garden for that many - just remember it's not just height but width to look out for as well when planting out. 

The cherries were a mistake (too many blackbirds and the garden not suitable for netting off) but give a lovely floral display every spring and that encourages the bees, and you really need to check that you have suitable pollinating partners especially the apples before buying.  The trees take a good 3 years to mature enough to be productive, especially pears that can take up to 5 years (I thought I had duff trees when I never even got a single pear, but it's perfectly normal and now they are amazing producers)

thanks, might think twice now, I'm after some verily cheap fruit trees that only grow 2m maximum anyone out there got any good contacts/site?

You'll still need to prune - it's only the rootstock that limits the growth to some extent, but the grafted variety is still going to put on normal growth.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 18:42 »

Hi I bought 4 trees from garden bargains 1 apple 1 pear 1 cherry and 1plum they're only supposed to grow to about 7ft tall.
I planted them in february,they came as 5ft bare root,and have grown to about 6ft
I think they were on offer at 39.95 for all 4,i'm quite pleased with them ,they advertise on ideal world on the telly,or try their web site.
Worth a try 

Dantheman

• Experienced Member

xx
was just thinking

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 21:54
by mumofstig
xx
Thinking of a fig

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 20:03
by Doddy
xx
I'm thinking of

Started by snowdrops on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2017, 14:45
by snowdrops
xx
Bean thinking!

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 12:33
by gillie

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 31 queries.