I'm thinking of

• 11 Replies

snowdrops

I'm thinking of
« on: May 31, 2017, 21:39 »
Preparing a bed for asparagus, has anybody any recommendations for what variety to get, to buy some in or to grow from seed?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: I'm thinking of
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 08:32 »
Growing from seed is slow but cheap, with it taking around three years to get plants large enough to crop from.

Buying plants as crowns is more expensive of course but after the first settling in year they are already productive. Varieties are a matter of personal taste.

Choosing all male varieties  avoids the red berries female plants produce germinating and giving weedy little plants everywhere. if you only have a small bed you can pick them off but it is easy to miss them
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:24 »
Seeds at about £3 a packet are cheaper than crowns but not really. 10 crowns will cost about £12. If they are planted in the Spring you will be able to pick just a few spears the next Spring, pick a good crop the second year and a full crop the third year. Seed takes 3 years before you can pick any so the crowns will have more than paid the difference by then.

As Sunshine says, choose an all male variety. That avoids problems with berries self seeding, also the plants do not waste energy producing seed.

This site is a good source of information on growing.

http://www.asparagus-in-kent.co.uk

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:43 by Salmo »

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:42 »
I bought a selection from T&M, and they seem to be doing well (5 each of 4 different types).  I exchanged £5 Tesco Clubcard vouchers for £15 T&M vouchers, so it certainly helped cut down the cost.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 11:49 »
As Sunshine says, choose an all female variety. That avoids problems with berries self seeding, also the plants do not waste energy producing seed.

Or, as Sunny said, an all male variety!  ;)

All-male varieties do have thicker spears anyway, which makes growing from seed even more problematic if you only want to grow male plants, although you can actually buy seed which will only produce male plants (no, I don't know how they do it either!  ::))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 20:37 »
Thank you all, I wasn't bothered by cost just wondered if you got more varieties with seed, plus they'd be planted & settled in well. But it seems the consensus is for crowns & all male varieties.
Now just to ear mark the bed & get preparing

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 09:18 »
I went for crowns and chose two varieties, Mondeo and Guelph Millennium.  I planted them last year and we took a handful of spears this season.  They seem to be doing well.  I got them from Pomona Fruits who sent very good planting and growing advice.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 09:36 »
Thank you Anne, I'll take a look at them😊

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 15:03 »
And watch out for asparagus beetle - had them in my previous garden from the first season and could never get rid. Pesky things  :mad:
Rachael

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 19:36 »
Hmm just another thing to protect against then ! 😊

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 08:47 »
I find asparagus beetles start appearing once I leave the fronds to grow.  If the odd one turns up while I am cutting spears, they are easily seen and squished.

It depends on your attitude to pesticides, but if you are OK with it, a spray of Provado onto the ferns protects for up to 6 weeks and stops the breeding cycle.  I reckon that as I am letting the ferns grow and will cut them down in autumn, any residue will be long gone by next spring.

If you would rather not go this route, the beetles drop to the ground as a defence mechanism when the frond is disturbed.  You can use this to your advantage by going round with a bucket of water and tapping the fronds over it.  The grubs hang on tighter and will need squishing in situ  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 14:45 »
Thanks that's worth knowing a bit like Lilly beetle then

xx
Thinking of trying

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2011, 19:12
by Dantheman
xx
was just thinking

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 21:54
by mumofstig
xx
Thinking of a fig

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 20:03
by Doddy
xx
Thinking of getting an allotment

Started by mum2many on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 18, 2007, 20:10
by muntjac

Page created in 0.619 seconds with 30 queries.