Starting a new area

• 30 Replies

bazh

• Experienced Member
Re: Starting a new area
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 06:24 »
Pasture is already classed as agricultural land, I don't see any reason he would need planning permission.

Faff free zone!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 19:13 »
It's quite simple to me. It's my land, it's on the official council map as greenbelt agricultural land and I'm using it for agriculture. Why look for problems? End of story.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 19:55 »
Whether the advice is right or wrong it was given generously and to help prevent potential problems, not to make life difficult for you.  It's your choice to stick your head in the sand and ignore it, but you could at least acknowledge and thank them for trying to help, not throw it back in their face.
Cheese makes everything better.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 20:23 »
Whether the advice is right or wrong it was given generously and to help prevent potential problems, not to make life difficult for you.  It's your choice to stick your head in the sand and ignore it, but you could at least acknowledge and thank them for trying to help, not throw it back in their face.

Thank you Ice.  It's threads like this that sometimes make me wonder why I try to offer advice to people who seek it, and then posts like yours which remind me why I do persist despite some reactions.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 22:16 »
Apologies folks and thanks for your well-meant advice. The reason I'm disregarding it is nothing to do with denial, head in the sand or any other negative allegation. It's simply that I know where I stand legally, morally and ethically as the owner of several acres of agricultural land, a bit of which I intend to use as a fruit and vegetable plot

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 01:52 »
the country is full of stupid laws like ''In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow'' ...but nobody bats an eyelid at those...so enjoy your new plot!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 09:36 »
Similarly with a Welshman here

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 10:29 »
What life has taught me is that sometimes it's infeasible if not almost impossible to not be in breach of some or other obscure piece of civil legislation. Therefore, as well as knowing the letter of the law, it's important to know a few local practicalities such as:
1 Is this law ever invoked?
2 If yes, what is the likelihood of complaint or detection?
3 If the answer to 1 is yes and the answer to 2 is "probable", what is the likely penalty? An instruction to desist or litigation?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 10:41 »
I should have added another piece of self questioning to the above and that is "is anyone or any organisation likely to be put at risk or in any way disadvantaged by my action?"

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 13:54 »
if you read my reply earlier (yes I know it was to do with roses not crops - although I suppose he could have said he was growing the roses to get rosehips to make syrup making them a sort of crop  ;)) he lived out in the middle of nowhere but some jealous person still complained and he had to dig them all up.
Staffies are softer than you think.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 14:06 »
Yes Joyfull, I read your post, thanks and it rang a bell. Some people are so jealous of any perceived advantage one may have. We once had someone write to our council complaining about something they THOUGHT I was doing. Had I been doing it, it was perfectly legal anyway. Fact was however that I WASN'T doing it. Provided a moment of light relief anyway

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 18:17 »
Yes Joyfull, I read your post, thanks and it rang a bell. Some people are so jealous of any perceived advantage one may have. We once had someone write to our council complaining about something they THOUGHT I was doing. Had I been doing it, it was perfectly legal anyway. Fact was however that I WASN'T doing it. Provided a moment of light relief anyway

What on earth did they think you were doing?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

joyfull

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 18:32 »
oh yes do tell  :lol:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 19:17 »
Oh, it wasn't a garden thing. We live in a Grade II Listed building that has out-buildings that are not part of the listing. I'd mentioned to someone that I was going to convert one of them into a workshop but then I never got around to it. Someone then reported us for breaching Listed Building regs even though what I planned would have been perfectly legal had we gone ahead. Long time ago but it taught me that even in rural Cumbria there are green-eyed busybodies

joyfull

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 19:25 »
sadly there are green eyed monsters everywhere

xx
Blight in the area

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 21:12
by Michael D
xx
My growing area

Started by Mosslane on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 20:56
by Mosslane
xx
Glysophate - area of effect?

Started by Tohmahtae on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 00:08
by johnfh
xx
very dry lottie area suggestions

Started by slugwarrior on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 21:41
by slugwarrior

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 29 queries.