What to do with rhubarb

• 18 Replies

Alan lad

What to do with rhubarb
« on: November 18, 2011, 22:08 »
When I found 3 plants in my new overgrown plot I thought "bingo" my first crop !! Now it's died back what do I do with it? It looks like 4 quite big bulbs. Do I just leave it to come back or do I need to do something like dig it up/cover it up?

sarajane

Re: What to do with rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 22:21 »
As its your first year with the rhubarb, it does die back this time of year (and looks very sorry for itself).  If you happen to have any rotted manure, throw some on top otherwise leave well alone and see how it produces next year.  If they grow into very large plants next summer it maybe that they will need splitting but that is a job for this time next year. 

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 22:52 »
Was going to say what sarajane said. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

sarajane

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 23:46 »
Was going to say what sarajane said. :)

Don't know about yours but mine thrives on neglect, manure over every winter and a good splitting every 5 years or so.  It is in a nice sunny position though.  Some think it can be shuved into a dark corner but it just will not thrive.  Give it sunshine if nothing else.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 17:02 »
Don't cover the crowns over completely with manure, though, just push it up to them. Thye don't like being completely covered and might rot  :blink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 17:14 »
This subject has just got me drooling. Those first few sticks in March/April are out of this world. I love the stuff and have small beds of it all over the place. Totally pest and disease resistant as an added advantage

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 20:46 »
I have to agree with Alan. I picked my first sticks on 14th April this year and after the chives it's the first real crop of the year and a sure sign that things are getting under way again. I've just put a good mulch of compost around mine and I'm already thinking of rhubarb crumble !!

Bodmass

• Follow Bod on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 17:04 »
My new plot also has a few rhubarb plants (approx 60cm across & 1 rising 20cm above ground).  The area around it has a lot of wood chippings/shavings underneath the compost surrounding them.  Any idea what the thinking behind this is?
Toiling through 100sq metres of clay - And I don't actually eat much veg!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 17:07 »
They probably thought it could do with a mulch.  Not a great idea to mulch with wood chippings in my view - they rob the soil of nitrogen as they rot down (slowly).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 19:28 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 18:05 »
If you don't have any rotten manure, leaf mould plus some bf&b does the job quite well  :D

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 18:25 »
As its your first year with the rhubarb, it does die back this time of year (and looks very sorry for itself).  If you happen to have any rotted manure, throw some on top otherwise leave well alone and see how it produces next year.  If they grow into very large plants next summer it maybe that they will need splitting but that is a job for this time next year. 

sorry to disagree a bit, do NOT put manure directly on top of the rhubarb, just spread directly around in close proximaty
Death OR Cake ???

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 19:53 »
Early spring  keep an eye on it and as soon as it shows signs of movement....or even before...spread a thick 1ft layer of straw over it...a less aggressive way of forcing,you'll get lovely sweet early stalks without the stress to the plant normally associated with forcing pots.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 20:25 »

sorry to disagree a bit, do NOT put manure directly on top of the rhubarb, just spread directly around in close proximaty

Yes, that is right  :D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 21:44 »

[/quote] sorry to disagree a bit, do NOT put manure directly on top of the rhubarb, just spread directly around in close proximaty
[/quote]
I've heard this advice before but it doesn't hold in my experience. I've always just shovelled well-rotted manure onto rhubarb in Autumn and always had a good crop. Strangely enough, the other "Golden Rule" about splitting crowns every few years has always been ignored by me. My crowns are now 30 years old, two feet across and as prolific as ever

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 21:55 »
I agree that rhubarb can grow on for ever -- my Dad's plants stayed int he same spot for over 40 years before I rehomed them on my plot.

(They do need feeding of course)

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 10:46
by hamstergbert
xx
RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB

Started by mikethetyke on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 20:30
by Aunt Sally
xx
New rhubarb

Started by Wayne Starkey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2021, 20:57
by snowdrops

Page created in 2.298 seconds with 28 queries.