Which size of hen to buy?

• 4 Replies

williamspencer

Which size of hen to buy?
« on: November 12, 2011, 16:20 »
Hi

I'm new to this site.
I'm currently looking to buy hens after Christmas in March 2012.
I set my eye on Buff Orpingtons large fowl today and they were beautiful, but how big do they get?
I know bantams usually have smaller eggs but I've heard that they are starting to breed 'miniatures'? Which are apparently bigger than bantam size.
Is it possible to mix bantams, miniatures and large fowl together?

evie2

Re: Which size of hen to buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 17:42 »
Hello William, welcome to the forum :D

We have LF with Sabelpoots and Dutch bantams, they free range, share  a coop and apart from the usual squabbles they get on fine :D  We've never kept Orpingtons, they're very big, heavy birds I believe.  Someone will be along soon who has experience :D

Can't help re miniatures, sorry, our Sabelpoot eggs are half the size of the LF ones.  Have a look around at different breeds, you've plenty of time also consider the space you have available.

Good luck :D 
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 00:14 »
I think it's more about temperament than just size.  I understand Orpingtons are very docile and prone to being bullied, and some bantam breeds can be quite feisty - so the biggies might get bullied by the littlies!

evie2

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:05 »
So true Lindeggs.  One of our older Sabelpoots takes no nonsense from the flock and will quite happily chase off tourettes chicken Star, even we steer clear of her  ::)

outercircle

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 16:10 »
You could try some light breeds which are small, proper size chickens but bigger than bantams and lay good size, although not massive, eggs.

I have a mixture of light breeds (black leghorn and cream legbars) and big hybrids (copper blacks) and they all get on OK. The hybrids are the most docile and friendly, can easily be picked up etc and are low down on the pecking order. It's one of the legbars, about half the size of the hybrids who's top chicken.

Both the leghorns and legbars are good layers of blue and white eggs respectively. They do have a tendency to flappiness though and can be a bit slippery if you need to get hold of one to carry out a bit of chicken maintenance.

xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
Egg size as they lay more

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2008, 19:54
by Oliveview
xx
size of run

Started by terrijane on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 22:22
by smiler43
xx
Run Size

Started by Skywise on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 17:55
by Craig69

Page created in 0.996 seconds with 28 queries.