Run Size

• 4 Replies

Skywise

Run Size
« on: August 29, 2011, 21:22 »
Hi Guys

Well, we've measured out the available area for our permanent run today and it measures about 9 foot by 8 foot - 72 sq foot in total.  (Sorry, I only work in old money and don't know how to convert this to the new fangled metric system)

The chap who's going to be selling us the chickies says that this is big enough for four hens but I'm not sure about that.  The problem is that the chicks will be in the run for most of the day as we can only let them out into the rest of the garden when we're home from work and on weekends.

The run will be flagstones with woodshavings on them (for easy(ish) cleaning) and the house is built up on legs so that there's room underneath it for the chickies to shelter from the rain - there shouldn't be any wind there because it's in the lea of the garage and greenhouse.

The coop itself will be 4 foot by 4 foot with two nest boxes, two 4 foot perches and removable plastic trays on the floor (again for easyish cleaning) and the walls will be sealed with non toxic gloss paint (anti red mite hopefully) and a good thick coating of the diatom slurry that I've read so much about on here!

Is this going to be big enough for four hens?

I really don't want to make any birds we get unhappy because I can't give them enough room. 

The chickens we've been looking at are hybrids - a bluebelle, a white star, a Warren and  Black Rock - but we'll only get them when I'm quite happy with their accommodations.

Any advice gladly taken.

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
Re: Run Size
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 21:44 »
Hi, I believe 2 square yards (18 sq ft ) is the recomended area per hen so 4 hens would be the correct amount for your run. The raised coop is a good idea to maximize your run area, good luck

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 22:53 »
This would be the min area you'd need for 4 hybrids however the saving grace is that you can let them range further when you are around so it should be Ok just.  

I personally think there's not a nice linear relationship between area and birds.  There needs to be a base minimum amount for them to have which is reasonably independent of numbers and as the numbers grow you need to increase on that.  Personally I wouldn't like to keep even one hen in an area any smaller than 6sq yards as I feel they need a basic minimum area to exercise in.  Then on top of that add 1 sq yards for every bird over one.  So using this formula you'd need 9 sq yards for 4 birds and you have only 8sq yds so you will be on the tight side.

HF

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 22:48 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Skywise

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 13:14 »
Three it is then :D

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 17:55 »
I've just finished building a run for my girls on the allotment & have used the 18 square feet per bird.
My run is just over 12 foot x just over 9 foot giving me just over 108 square feet.
This means i can have 6 birds in the run.
Lost one of my girls the other day, so down to 2. Might get another 4 in a couple of weeks.
Will try & post a picture later if i remember to take the camera with me.

xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
What Size?

Started by parson on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 09:30
by colliebird
xx
Which size of hen to buy?

Started by williamspencer on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:10
by outercircle
xx
What size????

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 18, 2007, 17:13
by ToHellWithWeeds!

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 35 queries.