grass paths

• 16 Replies

vegypete

• Location: gravel lane alottments, hemel hempstead hertfordshire
grass paths
« on: November 06, 2011, 22:07 »
hi ya :) i am thinkining about the paths that iwill need on my new plot,the main weeds are nettels and couch grass, if i let them grow natuerly then strim or mow them would that suffice as i am not in to bits of wood and pegs every were?............pete
if at first you don't suckseed try again

compostqueen

Re: grass paths
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 23:20 »
I've got grass paths but they are a lot of work to keep mowed and in good order so am thinking of covering them with heavy duty sheet mulch.  The couch in the paths tends to migrate into the beds, which is a pain in the neck

They do look good once mowed though but I can't be doing with edging them darned things, so I don't bother  :)

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 23:27 »
grass paths do need maintenance but a nicely mown strip looks nice! I have a mixture of both grass and covered membrane. The grass paths are the long straight ones and the fiddly ones are covered & edged.

As long as you have a deep gully between grass path and growing area the couch grass  does not migrate as it only runs about 4/5" below the surface, so if you have a 12" gully then it cant get across this....
Death OR Cake ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:44 »
the grass may not cross but you can twist your ankle in a gully  :blink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 15:25 »
Grass paths look fabulous when they are well maintained ... but

1. Grass needs mowing and I don't have time
2. Weeds grow in grass and if you don't mow you get their seeds where you don;t want them
3. The bit you walk on the most goes bare and gets muddy and slippy in the winter

so I have paths that are lined withe weed suppressant membrane and then covered in chipped bark.

They look neat and tidy and are safe to walk on. Get the occasional weed seed attempt to grow but easy to hoike out  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 16:10 »
I have grass paths and find the clippings very useful as a mulch in between my potatoes (not everyone agrees this is a good idea, but it works for me). I also like the slightly uneven look of it - not too clinical or ordered, after all, it's my favorite place to be, as well as my veg plot
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 17:28 »
I don't have any paths or beds as such on my plot. Personally I think they are a waste of good growing space. The only paths are those between plots.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 19:20 »
I have grass paths and find the clippings very useful as a mulch in between my potatoes (not everyone agrees this is a good idea, but it works for me). I also like the slightly uneven look of it - not too clinical or ordered, after all, it's my favorite place to be, as well as my veg plot

Like your idea Aelf.

The Patch has paths, as opposed to the Plot, which doesn't...

And the Patch's paths - and beds - are slightly irregular too, as there's enough straight linery around without precision growing as well ;0)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 20:39 »
I had couch grass on my paths.  I tried strimming it regularly but as the season went on, the grass stems got thicker and more painful if I stood on them.

In the end I resorted to heavy duty weed membrane, which has killed off most of it over a couple of years and isn't muddy when I walk on it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 15:16 »
grass paths do need maintenance but a nicely mown strip looks nice! I have a mixture of both grass and covered membrane. The grass paths are the long straight ones and the fiddly ones are covered & edged.

As long as you have a deep gully between grass path and growing area the couch grass  does not migrate as it only runs about 4/5" below the surface, so if you have a 12" gully then it cant get across this....
I have found that couch grass will go deeper than 5" so, nice as grass paths are, they need constant maintenance and I am going to membrane mine this winter because I need to cut down on un-essential work. Having four very active cats now, I plan to quickly spray the weeds off and cover immediately with barrier membrane. My OH will have to keep the cats indoors until it is covered; though my neighbour finds that cats don't like the smell of weedkiller and keep off the area - but I am not risking it!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 17:15 »
I started with a grass path but it became a chore keeping it cut and also tended to harbour slugs. So it was removed and I got some broken flagsstones going free.
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 18:25 »
I have found that couch grass will go deeper than 5" so, nice as grass paths are, they need constant maintenance and I am going to membrane mine this winter because I need to cut down on un-essential work. Having four very active cats now, I plan to quickly spray the weeds off and cover immediately with barrier membrane. My OH will have to keep the cats indoors until it is covered; though my neighbour finds that cats don't like the smell of weedkiller and keep off the area - but I am not risking it!

There is no point in doing this because a) the plant won't be actively growing enough at this time of year to take the chemical down to the roots, and b) even if the plant was growing actively enough, by covering it up you will stop it growing and therefore the chemical would not reach the roots anyway.

Best to just cover it up now.  If you wish to use weedkiller, leave it until the spring, remove the cover, spray, and allow to work for a few weeks before covering up again.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 10:24 »
I think grass paths look really good if properly looked after and having a bit of a gully is a good idea to stop the grass encrouching on to the bed, but unless your retired and get to spend all day on your plot I'm guessing your time could be put to better use than looking after them.
Faff free zone!

Allotment Jon

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 13:33 »
I know this is cheating a bit but I have looked at Astro Turf type cut offs on sites like ebay. With a bit of weed free membrane under it it may work  and I could win best kept plot of the year involving very little maintainance.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 15:21 »
I know this is cheating a bit but I have looked at Astro Turf type cut offs on sites like ebay. With a bit of weed free membrane under it it may work  and I could win best kept plot of the year involving very little maintainance.

It is not cheating it is a great idea, especially if you pin it down firmly so it doesn't slip  :tongue2:

xx
Grass Paths and Weeds

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 13:14
by Ma Lowe
xx
Clearing grass paths

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 19:19
by Yorkie
xx
Grass paths or membrane

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 10:04
by Kristen
xx
Grass paths. Good or bad idea?

Started by theakston_uk on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 12:53
by Ivah

Page created in 1.131 seconds with 32 queries.