Grass paths. Good or bad idea?

• 16 Replies

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
Grass paths. Good or bad idea?
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:58 »
I've got a piece of land which I am turning into an allotment. It was covered mainly in grass and weeds. I have sprayed it with Roundup and it looks pretty much dead. I was going to rotivate the whole lot and keep it looking like a traditional allotment with no grass paths just the soil seperating the beds but someone suggested just to rotivate the beds I want and keep the grass inbetween as the paths. My question is should I go for grass paths or am I asking for trouble? Cheers for your advice

madcat

Re: Grass paths. Good or bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:10 »
Just soil = very muddy in the winter.   :( :(  Grass paths still get muddy, but not quite as slippy under foot.  The downside is you do have to keep the edge trimmed, with a spade or lawn edging shears, or the grass will travel.  Weed suppressant fabric and wood chipping would be the other alternative, if you can get hold of the chippings free.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:30 »
I'd say grass paths are better than nothing, but personally wish my site had paving stones as I always find maintaining the paths additional work when I've got so much else to do as well.  The only problem with weed suppressant material and bark chippings is that they need to be replaced - not so bad if there was a ready source but can get expensive.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:49 »
we have 2 plots and 1 has a slabbed path down the middle, which we have done over time when we could get the slabs for free from freecycle, friends etc. the other did have grass paths but we are in the process of removing them because, as mentioned already, if you dont keep on top of them they do travel and you end up with more paths than beds

peterjf

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:52 »
grass paths hide all sorts of nasty creapy crawlies such as wire worms , klick beetles

peronally i would kill the grass with legal weed killer then shutter the sides and back fill with shingle or small crushed brick ect ,

if you are flush , lay pavers down too

Pompey Spud

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 11:45 »
Has said before. Grass paths take a bit of effort to maintain as in the mowing etc. More importantly, slugs/snails can travel easily over them which would be the same for paving slabs.

Weed suppressant material covered with chippings is the way to go. Our site has deliveries from the council which makes it easier.

If you do go for grass than i'd edge the borders with wood like decking to stop the grass going onto the beds.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

1jim

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 20:08 »
whats gravel like for paths...my plan for the allotment is mostly raised beds- but even the normal beds will have some wood edging, have sourced gravel at £30 per tonne but finding bark etc more costly as dont have anyone giving it away here

DavidT

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 20:22 »
I`d go the traditional way, no paths. Use the entire area for growing crops. The only "paths" you need are what you wear in harvesting your crops. :D

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 20:42 »
I've changed my mind time and time again about what to use for paths, I did plan on grassing them however as this is my first full year I've marked out my beds and gone with compacted soil as my pathways as a trial this year to see if my beds work out -I  will perhaps splash out next year on a more permanent arrangement - do have to agree it is slippy when wet but so far so good not sure if I will be saying that when weeds are in full bloom! :D

Missy

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 21:17 »
I don't like the idea of using up growing space with paths.  I use walking boards if I need to get around when the ground is wet.  In the summer, it doesn't compact as much anyway so isn't a problem. 

The couple of paths I do have around my raised beds were covered with weed suppresent fabric then woodchiped (which is supplied free by our Council) It is low maintainence and doesnt hide pests in the same way grass does.   

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 23:29 »
I think it depends how much time you have for maintaining a weed free traditional allotment versus maintaining whatever path you use. My neighbour is the row rep and has a beautiful traditional allotment, mine is anything but, but I know that if I had to keep the whole plot constantly weed free between rows, I'd never do it and I'd forget what was planted where.
I seem to remember reading in Hessayon's book (I think) that the bed system gives you more veg per square metre cultivated because you pack them in, but that the traditional allotment gives a greater overall yield if that makes sense - do what suits you in the end!

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 00:29 »
I would go with earth paths until you decide where you want them. You have used roundup so all the couch grass should be dead.

If you just let paths fall back down to grass you will get couch and other weed grasses. If you either seed the paths, or better, lay with turf, you will have very little trouble with invasive grass growing into the beds. Keep an eye open for neighbours laying turf and beg remnants to jigsaw in, or sometimes the DIY stores sell off cheap if it hangs around too long.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 00:31 »
If you have a big enough space I would divide it into just the number of main sections you want for your rotation method... perhaps 3 or 4 main lumps.

I like grass paths - but have very few so not too much time spent nipping over them with a strimmer or mower and little "wasted"- the rest of the plot is pure soil... so can be used flexibly. Raised beds stay the same size no matter how many of a particular plant you want to stick in.... to many paths can also limit growing spaces and (if you use one) make rotovating more difficult.

Having an open plot (in 3 or 4 sections) helps with rotation but does not limit how long / wide each crop planting area is.

I hope this makes sense  :blink:  :unsure:  ;)  
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

diggerjoe

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 09:23 »
We have grass paths between each plot. Some have managed to get theirs nice and flat and the width of a mower so its easier to maintain. The path each side of my plot is as bumpy as ploughed field and too narrow for the handmower so I spend time on knees cutting it with shears. Oh for some nice slabs :D :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 12:09 »
I have Lazy Raised Beds. I made 4' wide beds with 18" wide paths between, and dug the soil from the paths and added to the beds to make them "deeper".  Paths covered in weed suppressing fabric and wood chip. Obviously if you can put boards to make proper Raised Beds that';s better - it would stop the soil falling onto the chippings and making a mess when I cultivate

xx
grass paths

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 16:15
by sunshineband
xx
Grass paths or membrane

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 10:04
by Kristen
xx
Clearing grass paths

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 19:19
by Yorkie
xx
Grass Paths and Weeds

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 13:14
by Ma Lowe

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 38 queries.