Azadas

• 14 Replies

Alan lad

Azadas
« on: November 04, 2011, 21:34 »
Anyone own/use one of these tools? I purchased one lately and after leaving it to soak in a bucket of water for several days so the head did not come loose I used it yesterday for the first time. One side of my plot has not been touched since Aug 10 as the LA took from then to this year to offer me the plot, anyway, back to the azadas. Set about taking off the dead grass,weeds, wow what a tool, so sharp and easy to use. Then I set about digging,about 6 inches deep with it, again so easy. After about an hour and half I had cleared and dug over a part of the plot approx 6 yards wide by 3 yards deep and my back didn,t ache!! My neighbour who sits on his mini digger turning over his plot(yes I know) was so intrigued he came for a look and even had a go, he was impressed(before stepping back onto his mini digger!)
I always buy new tools with a hint of scepticism but this was well worth the money.

grendel

Re: Azadas
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 23:12 »
yes I have found mine great for such work, I can do a 6m plot width by 1m deep section of my plot in about 1 hour using mine, it leaves me out of breath, but without an aching back.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 10:07 »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:37 »
I've had one for a couple of years and it's brilliant for cutting the weed growth off of overgrown plots. 

The handle is rather naff though.  It needs a bit of shape to make it easier to grip.  It's just like a long broom handle.

grendel

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:48 »
yes a double curve in the handle (much like a shipbuilders woodworking adze) would make the tool more comfortable to hold.
Grendel

smud6ie

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 11:50 »
I've had one for a couple of years and it's brilliant for cutting the weed growth off of overgrown plots. 

The handle is rather naff though.  It needs a bit of shape to make it easier to grip.  It's just like a long broom handle.
I never could see the logic in the shape of the handle other than ease of replacement.
My hoe /azadas has an oval shaft widening near the top to fit in the head socket so doesn't twist in use which I find the other type does.
smud6ie

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 11:56 »
The straight shape of the handle is because where digging hoes are the "usual" tool used to cultivate the land it is the practice to cut a stick from a locally growing shrub to use as a handle, thus making it easy to replace at any time.

Not a feature we really need in the west ;)

grendel

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 17:59 »
I also have the canterbury fork which is also an excellent tool - mine is an original locally forged one though - not the modern ones.
Grendel

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 18:19 »
Then you should use the best of these tools who are actually UK based and there handle is very simple. Been around for over a 100 years.

www.chillingtonhoes.com

See the 3 videos down the page.

Those handles look exactly the same as the azada's, digga  ::)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 18:52 »
the handle is supposed to slide through your hand.

The bottom hand, yes but the top hand needs something to stop it slipping off the end.  I really have to grip hard  and that gives me blisters  >:(

My solution to the problem is...

... make Worzel use it ;)

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 19:12 »
the handle is supposed to slide through your hand.

The bottom hand, yes but the top hand needs something to stop it slipping off the end.  I really have to grip hard  and that gives me blisters  >:(

My solution to the problem is...

... make Worzel use it ;)

Ahh i understand now and the answer is really simple for things like this so get you cheque book ready ;)

Insulating tape is cheap and cheerfull! So what you do is put about 3 - 4 rings of insulating tape on the end of the handle about 1.5"/40mm apart and go around the handle at least say 6 times so the rings are raised about 1mm-2mm. Then your hand or glove will grip easily and no blisters. If the tape gets wet and comes off it costs just pennies to replace.

You can use this idea on most handle type hand tools, but because the idea is a patent of mine ;) each time you use it, i will require further payments :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 19:23 »
Duz I look like hay girl wot wood use hay cheap tape solushon  :ohmy:

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 19:34 »
Duz I look like hay girl wot wood use hay cheap tape solushon  :ohmy:

Sorry Aunt Sally i forgot how respectable and refined a lady you are. I know of some other tape from Harrods that i could get for you. :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 19:37 »
Hi shood think so, indeeed   :closedeyes:

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 21:22 »
Naaaah,

You have to make your own chopper/clumper/masher/basher/slicer etc, and I'll prove it in a post soon, (coming to a town near you...)

;0)

xx
thinking of making my own azadas

Started by vegypete on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 18:18
by vegypete
xx
azadas - digging hoes?

Started by Windswept Jiggle on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2015, 11:23
by Stewarty
xx
Mattock hoes (aka Azadas) - tight blade fit

Started by salixer on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post February 08, 2022, 17:53
by salixer

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 31 queries.