Greenhouse blinds

• 7 Replies

Dr Jim

Greenhouse blinds
« on: October 28, 2011, 22:04 »
Advice please - I am a total novice and have had my greenhouse for only about 5 months. I am intending to try heating it over the winter with a small blower heater, but I would like to know if it is worth purchasing some internal blinds (mine is a Robinson greenhouse) and blinds cost £72 each (down very recently from £90). Or is this really a non starter?

Gwiz

Re: Greenhouse blinds
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 05:29 »
Sounds very expensive to me. :blink:
Why do you want the blinds? is it to insulate or to reduce the amount of sunlight? If you want to insulate, a far cheaper way of doint it would be with "Bubble glazing" £72 would insulate a pretty big greenhouse! if you want to reduce the amount of light, you could use some paint-on-the-glass shading or throw some netting over the glass (that's what I do on very bright days) ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 10:41 »
Don't quite understand why you are looking at blinds for a winter greenhouse - surely it's insulation you need rather than reducing the amount of light still further?  :unsure:

Most forms of heating are very expensive these days - electricity is around 13p per kilowatt-hour which could work out pretty expensive even for a relatively low-wattage heater with thermostat on a low setting.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:08 »
JayG, I expect Dr Jim is thinking ahead to next season. ;)

Dr Jim

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 17:37 »
Thanks for the advice.  I had the idea that the blinds might have contributed a bit of insulation over the winter as well as serving their more appropriate function of keeping things at a more stable temperature next summer.  For these two reasons I was prepared to buy some now at the lower price (£72 instead of £90). 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 17:51 »
If you are looking for insulation because you are growing things, won't the blinds cut out light?
There's precious little of it in the winter anyway  :(

Dr Jim

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 17:56 »
Thank you, Mumofstig.  Yes you are, of course, right. As I stay in NE Scotland, I guess I really ought to consider light more than I had.  To be honest I did not even consider that light might be a problem.  If I get my blinds, I will keep them rolled up over the winter.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 19:39 »
i think your rite Gwiz about shading i use netting on my greenhouses there a bit of a pain to put on because they tend to catch on the glazing strips >:(

so ime thinking of putting the net on the inside not outside with those plastic clips that fit in the gazing bars because the UV rays seem to be getting stronger and soon burn the tender plants on the benches :(

we haven't had any problems using the nets and yes its less expensive :D :D :D

xx
Greenhouse

Started by Pugsly on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2023, 09:31
by Goosegirl
question
what greenhouse help

Started by wozie on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 17:19
by Rangerkris
xx
greenhouse

Started by supervegman on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 19:05
by adele
xx
greenhouse ???

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post January 12, 2008, 09:52
by ToHellWithWeeds!

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 29 queries.