Where to start!

• 16 Replies

Iceburg

Re: Where to start!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 14:13 »
I took over my allotment (1/2) in August. It looks similar to yours with weeds 3 foot high in places. It is 25m x 10m. I was told it had not been touched for over 2 years.  I sprayed half with weedkiller and just started jigging up the weeds. Piling them all in the middle of the plot and then had a bonfire every so often. I did not more than 2 hours digging at a time using hte little and often approach. I finished digging completely 2 weeks ago and then used a cultivator to dig it properly. The plot looks great now with a fine tilth. I did put some Onions, Shallots and Garlic in during September and these are growing now. I also sowed some Spring Cabbage seeds. I still have weeds growing through both in the areas set but I hoe these areas and keep the weeds down. Cabbages are actually growing too which is a bonus. I have now planted some bushes - Blackcurrant, Redcurrent and Blueberry. I am looking forward to the spring when I can start to grow properly. I am sure there will be lots of weeds because as I was digging the weeds up the seeds kept spreading.

allotmentamy

Re: Where to start!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 17:01 »
I think the lasagne plan sounds good! If you wanted to strim the whole lot before covering it you can hire petrol strimmers quite cheaply from tool hire centres. There are a few things you can plant now such as garlic, so you might want to dig over a small section just to have the satisfaction of having planted something! Good luck  ;)

Yeah have garlic ready to plant so going to clear a section and get that planted that way it will give me motivaition!!

Thanks again for your comments will start when get confirmation and let you all know how its going! x

xx
Having to start all over again.......

Started by prestongirl82 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 20:20
by Ema
xx
what to start now

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 21, 2010, 10:15
by DD.
xx
Help!! Where do i start?

Started by summer-sun on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 20:55
by richyrich7
xx
where do i start ????

Started by WOODY7 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 19:24
by moose

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 29 queries.