Mitigating against theft

• 49 Replies

Dave T

Mitigating against theft
« on: October 15, 2011, 19:12 »
Hi - I've recently acquired an allotment and I'm planning out what I will plant over the next 12 months. Although these allotments are in a rural location with little passing traffic, I am thinking about the potential for theft (of fruit and veg). I'm not having a shed and the plot is more than big enough for my needs.

What are the best ways to minimise this issue?
1. Plant screening crops to reduce temptation - not sure which ones
2. Fencing or other physical measure?
3. Solar powered webcam to monitor from home?
4. Plant 25% more than I need and accept that these things may happen
5. Insurance. Might this be covered on my household policy?

SkipRat

Re: Mitigating against theft
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 19:17 »
Talk to your fellow plot holders and enquire if theft is a problem first before you decide to do anything.  ;)
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Benandbill

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 19:24 »
A scarecrow holding a broken chainsaw works for me  :tongue2:

Dave T

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 19:58 »
Talk to your fellow plot holders and enquire if theft is a problem first before you decide to do anything.  ;)
It's a brand new plot for all 10 of us. I'm nearest to the road.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 20:01 »
What are the best ways to minimise this issue?
1. Plant screening crops to reduce temptation - not sure which ones  
2. Fencing or other physical measure?
3. Solar powered webcam to monitor from home?
4. Plant 25% more than I need and accept that these things may happen
5. Insurance. Might this be covered on my household policy?

Welcome to the site  :D

3 is a non-starter as you won't get enough power in winter.
The answer to 5 is no.

If anyone is determined enough they will steal, whatever you do.

What is the boundary of the site at present?  A proper security fence round the site would help; if you are the only one to fence it may prevent some people having a look, but draws attention to your plot over others.

I'd plant as much as you can for your needs, and take it from there.

Don't leave tools there though.  I think that is asking for trouble.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 22:58 »
Are there houses nearby with a view of your site?
If so, their occupants are probably your best deterrent against theft.

One of our neighbours keeps an eye out for untoward happenings on the plot and has called police when vandals set fire to some pallets.

We had high hedges, which acted as a windbreak.  However, the police have suggested to us that reducing the height so that passers by have a clear view will ensure that trespassers are easily seen and have no cover.

We are an inner city site, and sad to say we have had some thefts of produce and equipment we think carried out by other plot holders.   However, mercifully, most thieves don't seem too keen on fresh vegetables.  However, I would not leave tools on site either, these will go.

ex-cavator

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 23:11 »
A scarecrow holding a broken chainsaw works for me  :tongue2:

Dressing up as a scarecrow and holding a perfectly good chainsaw works for me  :lol:

Dave T

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 18:03 »
Are there houses nearby with a view of your site?
If so, their occupants are probably your best deterrent against theft.

Nice thought in theory - however his house sale fell through when the prospective purchaser found out the field next door was becoming allotments again (previously until 1950)!

I think I will fit security tags on my pumpkins!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 23:02 »
We are surrounded by houses but are the nearest plot to the public footpath and gate. 

We superglue all the screws in the door hinges of the shed door to stop the kids taking a screwdriver to them and have fitted a grill over the window.  We lock the shed which does contain cheap tools but generally, we don't lock the greenhouse and (touch wood) haven't had anything go astray yet. 

Some plotholders have had their young plants removed from greenhouses/coldframes around May bank holiday weekends - only to find them for sale at the boot sale on the Monday!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 00:05 »
I take a cordless drill to the pozidrive screws in my shed hinges/locks. It ruins any chance of getting any drive with a screwdriver.

stompy

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 08:29 »
I take a cordless drill to the pozidrive screws in my shed hinges/locks. It ruins any chance of getting any drive with a screwdriver.

Only problem there is they will just rip the door from it's hinges and do more damage, then you won't be able to get the screws out to fix it  :lol:

Seriousely though "a lock only keeps out an honest person" im afraid that you have to take your chances!

With the shed just make sure that everything is out of view and you have either nets or a blind at the window.

As said previousely produce doesn't normally get stolen with the exeption of pumpkins at this time of the year.

bigben

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 12:02 »
I do not have a door on my shed as it is in the process of falling down anyway and only have a fork, hoe, and couple of other old tools in it. Our site has lots of break ins and I agree with stompy - anything securely locked is their first target because they assume it must have something worth stealing. The thieves tend to fall into one of three catogories - kids who are up to mischieve, push over water buts and smash a few greenhouse panes. Druggies who need something to sell, looking for scrap or anything valuable. More organised scrap thieves who are prepared to turn up during the day and scope the place out then return at night - lots of the old boys have greenhouse spares, scaffolding etc. The thieves even ripped off a metal roof from a shed for the scrap value. They will not be beaten by a strong lock but come with croppers and wrecking bars/ hammers to take out doors.

As yet I have never had crops stolen - except by birds.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:13 by bigben »

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 13:55 »
Your local police will have a Community Liaison Officer that can visit the site and audit it for you.  they also give you signs and DNA paint tags for tools and wheelbarrows and we even got ten prickly bushes given to us to help secure the boundary.

I agree with much of what has been said already.  Sadly the occasional break in goes with the territory.  We have most of our trouble in the first week when the kids break up for summer and sometimes when the fair is in town.  Just make sure that you report every single event to make sure that the allotment become a crime hotspot and gets a few extra drive bys per police shift. 

I've lost a whole Pear harvest a couple of years ago from a small cordon tree on one of my plots.  I was staggered to find that is was an existing member that had been seen by another member who was having a sit down in his shed and watched them pick the tree bare.  People Eh!
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

drizabone

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 17:04 »
Had the same problem, planted a plum tree a few years back and this year had half a dozen fruits, nurtured them tenderly till almost ripe, thinking next weekend they will be perfect and guess what. had to be someone from the site, barstewards.

gillian62

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 21:20 »
I don't lock my shed as I don't want it wrecked if broken into.  I have had it opened a couple of times but apart from nuisance factor (pinching hose connectors!) nothing of worth stolen.  I do keep tools down there - just the basics - but nothing of great value so I can afford to replace if necessary.

Only thing I am mad about is that all my pumpkins were stolen - obviously a pound of two's money to be made on them without too much effort.  So I've learnt that I will be growing them at home next year.

xx
Newbie introduction !! THEFT?

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2006, 16:43
by nitiram

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 37 queries.