Mitigating against theft

• 49 Replies

Erfurt

Re: Mitigating against theft
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 15:08 »
Nothing you can do; if someone wants to steal something they will.
I had an apple tree stolen during the week the fourth tree stolen from our plots this year.
Flogging is too good for them.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 15:47 »
We have a fence on both our plots And both are in full view yet we still loose lots of fruit and veg, whT really annoys me is when the kids are looking forward to eating soft fruit and when we get up there someone else has eaten it before us. We suffered this year with runner beans and I thought about sticking a set of google eyes from mr potato head in the beans, hung with clear wire and a note saying "I see what your doing" I also thought about painting my pears with stop and grow

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 16:09 »
just to add to your sorrow there's nothing you can do we have a 6" spiked fence and 3" of barbed wire on top we still get stuffed pinched, its not all ways from the other side of the fence i think you all no what i mean don't want to upset anyone ;) ;)
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 15:18 »
Vandalism and thefts from our site are common, with sheds being broken into, belongings smashed or stolen. I once noticed that one of my potato plants looked sickly, only to discover that the plant had been lifted, potatoes removed and the plant put back to hide it!

Our site is surrounded by a 7' steel fence underplanted with Hawthorn. My own plot is surrounded with an unbroken Hawthorn hedge and the gate is solid and locked with an internal mortice lock that goes into a steel return. Despite this, I occasionally see evidence that someone has been on my plot and have no idea how they did it!

Short of employing security staff 24/7, I don't know what the answer is.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Dom2599

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 16:35 »
I had the same issue, once a fortnight i would notice one or two items missing with the ground nicely brushed to look as if nothing had ever been there...i have now put up 100 metres of coiled barbed wire on top of my fence, this seems to have moved them on, although other plot holders have stated they have had stuff go missing as well

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 16:53 »
My experience is two-fold:

Location, location, location. Petty criminals rarely stray far from their own middens

And

They usually can't be a***d with healthy stuff like fruit and veg

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 22:35 »
most areas have been covered - dont get too paranoid as in all walks of life there are opportunist theives about all the time....  One small point, ensure your shed is anchored into the ground as the easiest way to get into a shed is to just push it over (which Ive seen on a fellow plotholders shed) so sucure a few posts well into the ground and bolt the shed to these....
Death OR Cake ???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 22:40 »
I had the same issue, once a fortnight i would notice one or two items missing with the ground nicely brushed to look as if nothing had ever been there...i have now put up 100 metres of coiled barbed wire on top of my fence, this seems to have moved them on, although other plot holders have stated they have had stuff go missing as well

1. Does this border a public footpath?
2. Is it more than 2m above ground level?
3. I assume you've not put up warning signs?

Be aware that if anyone hurts themselves on  the wire, you will personally be liable for the compensation for their injuries, irrespective of the reason they were on the plot.  This is a highly risky strategy.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Beetroot queen

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 19:21 »
just to add to your sorrow there's nothing you can do we have a 6" spiked fence and 3" of barbed wire on top we still get stuffed pinched, its not all ways from the other side of the fence i think you all no what i mean don't want to upset anyone ;) ;)

I witnessed exactly this last week I was stunned as he knew he wasn't alone on the plot  :nowink:

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 22:49 »
Please do not take what doesn't belong to you, as a smack on the back of the head with a shovel sometimes offends.  ;)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 09:37 »
One small point, ensure your shed is anchored into the ground as the easiest way to get into a shed is to just push it over (which Ive seen on a fellow plotholders shed) so sucure a few posts well into the ground and bolt the shed to these....

They'd never push my shed over - it's too full of junk!  :D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 13:14 »

1. Does this border a public footpath?
2. Is it more than 2m above ground level?
3. I assume you've not put up warning signs?

Be aware that if anyone hurts themselves on  the wire, you will personally be liable for the compensation for their injuries, irrespective of the reason they were on the plot.  This is a highly risky strategy.
I've read this type of cautionary note before. Are there any actual records of thieves injuring themselves when climbing into allotments or other private properties and then successfully suing the allotment holder/owner?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 14:02 »
There is always a first time Alan, we have just had a 5 meter fence put up in front of our 2 meter security fence as a council officer observed a youth climbing over it to get his football.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 16:27 »
With all due respect to Blackpool Council, either they've too much money or you're growing opium or cannabis there :lol:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 16:32 »
With all due respect to Blackpool Council, either they've too much money or you're growing opium or cannabis there :lol:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you dont know who reads these forums  :blink:

I think they are a little bit scared at the moment, there was a bad accident recently at a park where a young un was seriously injured and by all accounts it will end up in courts, I suspect they think it will be cheaper to put the fence up in the long run.

xx
Newbie introduction !! THEFT?

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2006, 16:43
by nitiram

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 37 queries.