Stalosan F

• 7 Replies

tracy66

Stalosan F
« on: October 14, 2011, 21:01 »
Hi everyone

We have just cleaned out our girls run tonight and got rid of the straw and put easibed down with a roll of turf for their enjoyment!! (I must say the easibed smells ten times better than the straw!) Looking forward to seeing their reaction in the morning!
We are going to put a sprinkle of stalosan f down in the run when they go to bed tomorrow night, do we just sprinkle on top or do we have to mix in thoroughly with the easibed?
I know a lot of people seem to use it on here so I presume it's safe for them to peck around in?

Many thanks.

3 chooks - April, May & Julie
1 Retired Greyhound - June

Chrysalis

Re: Stalosan F
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 19:10 »
I use stalosan in the henhouse.  I put it (well shake it!) on the floor of the house and nestboxes before putting the shavings on top.  So far no problems in three years... :nowink:  The girls kick it around a bit, but generally ignore it.  We've not had redmite (yet!) but did get a bout of lice this Summer in the heat - we think from a wildbird, but sorted it with frontline from the vet.  Good luck!  ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 19:12 »
Stalasan F is a powder disinfectant and not a red mite preventative treatment.
Staffies are softer than you think.

uktitan

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 21:18 »
ive used Stalasan F for quite a while now and love it, makes everything smell much nicer, as joyfull correctly pointed out, its a powder disinfectant and works wonderfully for killing worm eggs, fungi, diseases Etc etc, it doesnt kill redmite though.

Stick with diatomatious Earth (Hemexsan ) for that.

Use a slurry and you can be redmite free for a year at a time.

hillfooter gave a nice recipe for a diatom slurry, Vanodine v18, De, and a squeeze of washing up liquid, mix it all up into a nice  paste, kinda like custard only not as nice tasting LOL, then just paint everything in your coop, Let it dry before letting the chucks back in there or they will get covered in it and make a huge mess :)
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 18:35 »
I use Stalosan F on the floor of the house with bedding on top. Personally I would not mix it with the bedding as it could make the house dusty which would be bad for chooks respiratory system. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

HelenMckenzie

• Our Dolly & Ginger
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 11:39 »
Hi, we have a run that we cant move as it is build around a fixed wooden climbing frame, as the ground its on isn't very good anyway, mainly dirt and weeks rather than grass, it is now starting to get very muddy.  I have put some straw down but that is quite wet and damp now with the rain etc and we can't really completely cover the run, would you recommend the easibed instead?
Also, have just googled easibed and it came up with that it was for horses, is this the stuff your on about?
Also, are you putting the stalosan on the dirt on the floor of the run?
Many thanks!!

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 13:32 »
Hi, we have a run that we cant move as it is build around a fixed wooden climbing frame, as the ground its on isn't very good anyway, mainly dirt and weeks rather than grass, it is now starting to get very muddy.  I have put some straw down but that is quite wet and damp now with the rain etc and we can't really completely cover the run, would you recommend the easibed instead?
Also, have just googled easibed and it came up with that it was for horses, is this the stuff your on about?
Also, are you putting the stalosan on the dirt on the floor of the run?
Many thanks!!

Hi there
If you can't move the run, you will find that straw or easibed (yes it is the horse stuff!) will just get trodden in with the mud & droppings. Personally I have put my run on some cheap paving slabs and use easibed or similar on that, however my run is covered.

Your best option may be wood chips if the run is uncovered but I would still recommend having slabs underneath even if it is just in part of the run as at least the hens will have somewhere relatively dry to stand on. Also with slabs you can clean them properly & disinfect from time to time by hosing or sweeping down so they are quite hygenic.

Are you able to perhaps cover part of the run when the weather is bad? As well as the floor of the run, the hens will benefit from having some shelter particularly as winter is coming. I got a couple of tarpaulins from B&Q and OK they are not perfect but they can quickly be put in place in heavy rain and can be used as a shade in hot weather (though that seems like a distant memory now!).

Hope this helps
Helen

HelenMckenzie

• Our Dolly & Ginger
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 08:06 »
hi peeps, thanks for the tips & ideas, i like the idea of tarpaulin sounds simple & cheap! I also think we might have some paving slabs so will ask hubby tonight. I hate the thought of them being cold & wet :o(

I think my hubby is regretting deciding to keep the stay chook & getting a friend as im always worrying about them just like i do our girls & keep wanting to buy this & that for them to make things as comfy as poss!!!

question
Stalosan F

Started by Della on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 15, 2009, 20:24
by Foxy
xx
stalosan f

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 19:06
by karlooben
xx
Stalosan.. How much to use?

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 10:23
by jhub
xx
Stalosan F

Started by westie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 02, 2008, 15:50
by chelseablue

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 28 queries.