Seasonality...

• 28 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Seasonality...
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 07:40 »
We are luckier than those Victorian/Edwardian gardeners to have the freezer as a storage option - soft fruit and homemade tomato passata taking up the bulk of the room in mine  ;)  Jam, chutney and pickles are satifying to make and as you say Growster, a dollop of homemade chutney or a pickle livens up many a dinner  :)

I'm never as good as planning a supply of veg for the winter months as I am over the summer when the harvest just keeps coming.  Chard, leeks, kale and PSB are my regulars, but I have got January King and spring cabbage this year, plus some overwintering caulies.  We won't talk about my swedes  :blush:  

If we were back in the old days where you grew it or went hungry I guess I would turn my whole garden over to rows and rows of cabbage just like the old cottage gardeners did.  Must have been a windy old life back then  :D

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 14:58 »
Of course we won't ask you about your swede, News.

I agree about the greens lasting all winter though, and I bet that a slaw was never heard of!

We grew extra leeks when we realised that five packets of onion sets had all struggled and died away!

The swede didn't though, but you asked me not to mention them, so I won't talk about them at all!

How about your Norways then...;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 15:10 »
and don't mention leeks either  :mad::tongue2: to leek moth )

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 15:44 »
Or carrots and parsnips (mice)  :mad:

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 20:15 »
But if you grew for profit only, you might just as well wander off into the supermarket.

This year so far, I have done some bookkeeping and I have priced up all of our produce off the allotment, using the online ordering of a supermarket and kept a record of the costs incurred. At the moment overall, we are £128 in profit and this will only increase until the PSB and leeks have been harvested.  :)

And of course, it tastes much better, something that cannot be priced
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 22:41 »
Seasonality of the veg produced on our allotment, helps avoid the repitition of cooking.
It keeps the mind fresher thinking of different recipes for different times of the year.

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 06:05 »
Seasonality takes on a larger dimension, when one considers that some veg have various 'sub-seasons', like leeks and potatoes, i.e. 'earlies', 'late crops', summer cabbage and winter cabbage, etc.

Until now, I've never really gone to that sort of detail, but will next year, simply because planting times are better advertised these days, and it's easier to figure out what to grow where and when!

sion01

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 07:47 »
Seasonality has become much more important to me in the last few year's and I can put it down in a large part to me takeing a much larger intrest in cooking,preserving etc.I've kept a diary over the last years of when I've sown stuff and when I harvest so I can tweek some sowings so they don't overlap too much with other stuff which might lead to gluts and time's of nowt.It will be handy next year as I've got hold of a small field so I hope to produce much more of my own veg.Apart from the veg you can store it's nice to have something fresh from the garden and ask yourself 'What can I do with this'.

Next year i'm planning to think more about pea production to allow for a longer season and to have more frozen.I just love them.Brassicas are also important to me and I've almost manager a 12 month supply of variouse brassicas though the kids aren't quite as enthusiastic about it as I am.

One thing I don't think you can be seasonal with is the fruit.You just have to take them when mother nature is ready though if I have the space and time and more importantly the money I would like to experiment with early/midseason/late and everbearing strawberries and raspberries next year.Another thing thats important to me and really seasonal is collecting wild stuff.You can't get more seasonal then that.

If nothing else seasonality keeps your'e tastebuds awake and makes you apreciate flavour more I think.

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 12:30 »
That's a very thoughtful post Sion.

I think it sums up what we're striving for, but of course, not taking it all too seriously, like you!

We took on the patch because fruit - as you say - is so seasonal, it'll never really change, and perhaps the broad beans we have stacked up in the freezer could well be blackcurrants in a couple of year's time! (not actually changing biologically, but spatially...), and there could be more rasps to!

Brassicas should go for a year, but as your kids say, 'yuccchhh...'

And so I might have until the first Brussels came on stream...

compostqueen

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 23:35 »
Did you watch Hugh Fearnley's veg programme tonight? Some very good veg ideas there for the keen cooks among us

PSB is the most expensive supermarket veg so worth growing your own.  I think it's dearer pound for pound that asparagus

Grubbypaws

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 10:25 »
Dont forget what is growing wild. I have just come back from a holiday in France. Everywhere you go folk are out there in the woods gathering mushrooms and sweet chestnuts. Even the posh restaurants are including these seasonal delights in their dishes. It is something that you really dont often see here.

Since returning I have been making note of where the sweet chestnut trees are but I am a complete coward when it comes to mushrooms. Does anyone know of a good guide to British mushrooms; it seems such a shame to waist this free food? 

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 14:18 »
Since returning I have been making note of where the sweet chestnut trees are but I am a complete coward when it comes to mushrooms. Does anyone know of a good guide to British mushrooms; it seems such a shame to waist this free food? 

We've got a little book by Roger Phillips, called The Photographic Guide to Identify Comman and Important Mushrooms. We find it very good for identification. I remember when I was a kid I used to pick loads of mushrooms from the fields.  These days, I live surrounded by fields and spend quite a lot of time walking through them, but I can't remember the last time I saw a field mushroom :(

Growster...

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 14:40 »
I didn't realise the importance of fungi in forests, until we had a long chat with the Curator at The Pinetum.

It's mind-blowing to understand the complexity of the way fungi spores keep trees going, and they put signs up asking people not to kick over the various toadstools which are everywhere!

They've also got pounds of field mushrooms in the old temporary car-park...

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 14:54 »
Yes, fungi come in a fabulous range of weird and wonderful shapes and colours too. When walking round one of the National Trust estates once I saw one of those wonderful bright red ones with yellow spots, looked exactly like a Walt Disney drawing.

I wonder why field mushrooms are so much less common now. I guess it could be down to pollution, herbicides, damage caused by too much picking, or a combination of all of the above. Maybe it's not widespread and it's just in my local area that they're so rare, though the lane where I live is pretty unspoilt, all pastureland with no arable crops, no obvious use of herbicides and very little traffic. There's an awful lot of moss about, and a tree surgeon did tell me once that's a good indication of good air quality.

Page created in 0.554 seconds with 32 queries.