Seasonality...

• 28 Replies

Growster...

Seasonality...
« on: October 12, 2011, 19:52 »
As usual, Mrs Growster and I were discussing how we liked the new root veg appearing in the kitchen, and how probably we'd be fed up with the same stuff after a couple of months.

The seasonable vegetables should dictate how we plan our daily menus, and give or take freezers, its not unfair to say that in general, a salad of fresh young lettuce, with greenhouse cucumber, frothy spring onions, and a smattering of sweet little tomatoes, will just not be avalable in January, however much you like to dream...

So as we are in the throes of enjoyng the  celery (shop-bought, I can't grow it well enough) with salsify and raw chestnuts, it won't be long before we both look at each other and say 'Had enough of this, what's next on the agenda...'!

When Edwardian/Victorian Farm was all the rage, we liked seeing how it was ultra-important to get the seasonal vegetables in store or easily available at the right moment, otherwise, there could be serious shortfalls, which could mean near survival in some cases. Winter veg will be either top-grown like brassicas or leeks, and a few roots like swede, turnip, carrots etc.

Because we've grown enough to make a gallon or so of green tomato chutney, that actually counts, when all there is on the table, is a bit of cold meat and a spud, done to a crisp. Perhaps, some re-visits to the stalwart gardeners - and cooks - from the old days, would explain much more about what we can do, and also, what we'd waste precious daylight hours on!

Now, I'd like to know how seasonality affects members here, it is an importsant step to planning a garden each year, and for once, Growster is (slightly), serious...!

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
Re: Seasonality...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 20:00 »
I try to maximise thr growing period for any one veg, so i (try to) sow successionally (oh dear god thats not spelt right!) and use different varieites to extend the growing season. I also try to store stuff as i have a cool dark place i am able to use reasonably successfully.

But I do try to plan our meals about what is seasonal, not just because it is seasonal but also if i havent grown it, it will/should be cheaper at the green grocers. Also i think seasonal veg lend themseleves to dishes that suit the weather, nice light salads in summer and earthy root veg stewy type dishes in the winter.

Did any of that make any sense? I know what i'm trying to say anyway.. :blink:
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 20:11 »
We eat what is seasonal Growster, 'cos that's what we grow  :D together with stuff that is stored/ preserved/ frozen

and love every minute of it too  :D

Exciting  :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

SkipRat

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 20:44 »
We eat very much what is in season, vegatables that are of the season are at their best conditionally and nutritional wise. Also it makes us appretiate more, the different seasons of vegatables. Last winter we couldnt wait for the summer salads to appear on our plates, now after overdosing on salads and fruit we are ready for the roots and brassicas,stews and steak and suet puddings and the hot winter fruit puddings made out of our frozen fruits of summer   :) :)
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 21:00 »
I do still have winter salads cos they're lovely with grilled/roast meat and wedges :)
It's just that the salad ingredients are different in the winter.

I've got some frozen veg, but not as much as I had last year (snap peas and green beans were a failure) and I just can't face just eating cabbage, swede and leeks and the rest of the winter veg, til June :(

By about March, as the days start to lengthen a bit, I will be longing for something different and will be at the supermarket for the out of season stuff, as well as peas and green beans ;)

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 06:55 »
"Also i think seasonal veg lend themseleves to dishes that suit the weather, nice light salads in summer and earthy root veg stewy type dishes in the winter"

That makes perfect sense Totes! Agree with that.

stompy

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 08:59 »
We try to be seasonal but im not good enough at producing what is needed on my plot.

We tend to get gluts of specific veg's that im good at growing and odd veg's that im not.

I've never been able to grow Caulli's, Brocolli, Sweeds and edible cabbages.

Parsnips, squashes, sprouts, courgettes and all summer greenhouse veg's i can grow but gennerally the winter store items i struggle with.

So we eat whats fresh and what we have and unfortunately buy the rest in season or not.

Next year will be different i hear my self saying  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 10:45 »
We've had to freeze broad beans, as they went mad earlier in the year, but don't bother with runners, as they never taste as good in our humble opinion.

Rasps are well stocked up, and also, so is apple, as there is nothing nicer than a crumble at the end of November, or maybe February!

Just looking at the price of main crop potatoes today, it cost us just pence for 2.5kg of Scottish spuds (Osprey) in Snazberries, and we even wonder whether it's worth growing them at that price - not taking into account that they've been moved 700 miles! We'd grow earlies definitely though.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 11:20 »
and we even wonder whether it's worth growing them at that price - not taking into account that they've been moved 700 miles! We'd grow earlies definitely though.

I wondered the same when I looked at the price of potato seed this year  :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 11:37 »
I'm fortunate with seed spuds to have a local nursery.

Maincrop wise, at a rough guess a quid's worth of seed spuds has this year yielded a sack full spuds. I have 6 sitting in the garage now. They are full to the brim and are way more than the 25 kilos or whatever they were intended for.

I know spuds are not the most productive crop when compared to the amount of land they take up bearing in mind shop prices, but I'm in a reasonable "profit" there.

The main point though is that you cannot price up the thrill of digging your own spuds up and seeing what comes up compared to what you planted.

Likewise with peas - they're worse cost wise. If I costed things out, I'd never grow them - but you try and stop me!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 14:21 »
Just looking at the price of main crop potatoes today, it cost us just pence for 2.5kg of Scottish spuds (Osprey) in Snazberries, and we even wonder whether it's worth growing them at that price - not taking into account that they've been moved 700 miles! We'd grow earlies definitely though.

Yes, I've come to the same conclusion. I grow earlies in bags but no maincrop. I can buy lovely big Marfona, locally grown, at my local garden centre in 25kg sacks for £5.99, and they're nicer spuds than I've ever been able to grow.

I always stuff my freezer with gooseberries, strawberries, apples, blackberries, gages, because fruit has such a short season and it would be a terrible shame to waste all those crops. They taste just as nice in a crumble after freezing as they do fresh. I do freeze French and runner beans. They don't taste as good after freezing (I think the difference is greater with French beans than runner), but I just accept the fact that they're best for taste when they're in season. Tomatoes I turn into passata and when preserved that way they smell and taste beautifully fresh when you open the jar, even after a year of storage. I haven't bought a chilli in years cos they're just as good dried.

Everything else we eat from the garden in the summer but have to buy from the supermarket in winter. I'd like to be able to eat more seasonally, because there's no doubt that veg always tastes better fresh from the garden than frozen or bought, but if I did we wouldn't be eating a lot of green veg in the winter time. I am trying to think more about veg for winter, and this year I have some chard, brussels and savoy cabbages sitting in the bed, my first attempt at growing overwintering veg, so we'll at least have those fresh veg to look forward to. I've also just invested in a decent sized polytunnel, so hopefully that will give me more options for winter growing too.

GreenOwl

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 16:59 »
I don't think using frozen stuff is quite what Growster means.  (Although its always welcome and only sensible to freeze the surplus.)

Yes, I get tired of psb by the end of the season but I welcome it when it comes in.  I love rhubarb in the spring.  Sick of courgettes and runner beans by now, ready for the parsnips and swede.

Having an allotment has made our eating more seasonal.  I love bringing stuff home to eat.  When I only had a small garden veg plot I didn't grow winter veg because I didn't have the space.  Now I have the space I want to be able to bring stuff home year-round. 

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 17:53 »
I haven't bought any veg since about July, other than frozen peas. I have managed to have fresh veg since then and have also frozen loads due to gluts. I will continue to have fresh into the winter but will probably be scratching around for fresh stuff come Jan, but will still have frozen.

I have shed loads of spuds this year as they did far better than last, and am seriously thinking of building a clamp to store them in. Next year I'm planning on growing more root crops so will need a clamp to store them in if it all works out.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

viettaclark

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 23:10 »
I've got a really good selection of veg for the winter and spring growing now, planned or stored.
Unfortunately I had to resort to buying 2 courgettes, cucumber and some peppers this week but the fresh toms are still going (just) and I've oven dried some and frozen masses.
The cookers are still going and I've got cherries, raspberries, plums, damsons, cherry plums and cookers frozen and preserved for later.
I've even managed to freeze some beans.
The freezer is very important to me now. I preserve stuff too (jams/chutneys) but bottling I find isn't suitable.
I will always need to buy spuds, onions,eating apples/pears (until my trees mature) but I try to buy in season and local if possible.
I haven't bought hardly any veg for months and only fruit like bananas, pineapple, grapes, mangoes, oranges etc.
I'm quite proud really!

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 07:33 »
I've been trying to keep all the green stuff in full production, and leeks, carrots, parsnips ane salsify are just being cropped.

What it also means is that there's no room to dig over yet; absolutely none...

But if you grew for profit only, you might just as well wander off into the supermarket.

Page created in 0.794 seconds with 30 queries.