Sloes - any suggestions?

• 5 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Sloes - any suggestions?
« on: October 06, 2011, 17:41 »
I have quite a few sloes and windfall apples (mostly eaters but also some of the yellow crab apples) and wonder what else I can do with them. I have made hedgerow jelly but wonder if there is anything else.
Sorry - can't do sloe gin I'm off the booze since had excessive heart rate probs 3 years ago  :(
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

cricketwidow

Re: Sloes - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 18:30 »
You can make apple & sloe jelly if you do not feel like making it now then freeze the sloes until needed they are better with a frost anyway.  Apples I do all sorts of things even make mint Jelly this year I did it with eating apples and no one is complaining.  You could try apple & sage Jelly & even rosemary jelly, it uses up a glut and you don't have to core them all.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 20:36 »
Thanks I may well have a go at the apple & sloe jelly if nothing else gets suggested. I don't know what the sloes actual flavour might be as only used it in the hedgerow jelly so far.
I have a larder full of jellies at the moment including rosemary, mint, rose hip & Bramble. Haven't thought about sage - not a herb we use much but I do have a pot of thyme which has a lovely scent and is one of my favourites so maybe I could use that.
Thanks for your suggestion.

cricketwidow

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 21:37 »
Thanks I may well have a go at the apple & sloe jelly if nothing else gets suggested. I don't know what the sloes actual flavour might be as only used it in the hedgerow jelly so far.
I have a larder full of jellies at the moment including rosemary, mint, rose hip & Bramble. Haven't thought about sage - not a herb we use much but I do have a pot of thyme which has a lovely scent and is one of my favourites so maybe I could use that.
Thanks for your suggestion.
I have made Thyme Jelly it is lovely, I give some to my friends and I also sell some at the local car boot, so if you make too much, I would think as sloes are related to damsons that you can make chutney look for a recipe on line, I have made damson chutney and bullace chutney all wild plums so give it a go just remember until sloes have a frost they are bitter so do freeze them first for a bit, good luck.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 15:47 »

"Taken in moderation"  ::) sloe wine is a winner.     Takes quite a few years to mature,  Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 15:55 »
Thanks Tony - I'm sure it is lovely but see the last bit of my opening post  :(

xx
Sloes

Started by captainhastings on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 09:06
by mumofstig
xx
Sloes

Started by Dirt Diver on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 15:07
by catllar
xx
Sloes

Started by Ann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post October 05, 2007, 15:22
by sorrel
question
Sloes for trifles

Started by Goldfinger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 19:35
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 30 queries.