hole in side of egg

• 10 Replies

chook mother

hole in side of egg
« on: October 04, 2011, 16:01 »
One of my hens has started to lay strange eggs with a collapsed  hole in the side, it looks like the shell isnt forming properly there and also that the air sac is on the side and not the top as the egg doesnt break and leak the contents, this hen has been through a moult which wasnt very severe but she stopped laying for a short time, before this she was a very good layer she is eating well and seems to be happy in herself, does anyone have and idea what is happening. sometimes the hole doesnt appear until the egg cools down and is usually about 1cm across.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: hole in side of egg
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 20:30 »
Hi CM
I've had just the same thing with one of mine this week -well more like end of last week really.

Two possible causes occur to me, either the hot weather as their fluid levels seem to affect shell quality and egg laying regularity, or part of the intermittent soft shell problem I've had with the same chk.

As today's egg seems ok I'm not too worried and in any case I'm not sure there is much you can do.

Mine is a 2 year hybrid who has had a partial moult a couple of months ago. So perhaps it's age related?

Do you eat those holey eggs? I don't - not sure I fancy them with the hole being a opssible route for germ entry?  :tongue2:

chook mother

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:42 »
yes I do eat most of them as the membrane is still intact and ,so they are still sealed, I suppose that it is a risk though, they dont seem to get a hole in them until they are laid and the shell is cooling then it collapses inwards into the air sac

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:45 »
please make sure that your hens have access to a pot of crushed oyster shell to help with the shell strength  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

chook mother

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:07 »
they have 2 sorts of oyster shell one is crushed quite small and the other larger to make sure they have the type they like

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 11:15 »
thats good, one will probably small grit to help them grind their feed (hens teeth being very rare - except for when they first hatch) and the other will be oyster shell. They really also need something to help them absorb the calcium and dark leafy greens are good for this.
How old are your birds and what breed?

chook mother

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 11:31 »
my birds are 2and a half they one laying the holes is a Maran hybred she has been a very good layer until recently, she is behaving normally and I am worming them this week with flubenvet, they were last wormed at the end of May

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 12:04 »
the break from laying over winter may help them build up their calcium supplies.

chook mother

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 12:24 »
would it help to give them poultry spice or mineral powder containing calcium or would it be best to just leave it to nature, thanks for all your help and advice much appreciated

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 12:30 »
poultry spice certainly does contain calcium and it does help encourage birds to eat so this may help your hen get enough of the necessary vitamins and minerals so yes try it  :)

As an added bonus it smells so nice  :D

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 13:18 »
always reminds me of Christmas!
I hate signatures but love irony

xx
Why do cockerals wobble their heads from side to side?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 21, 2012, 20:47
by ANHBUC
xx
hen sleeping out side

Started by spongebob on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 14:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
Side effects to flubenvet ?

Started by Alby on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 21:04
by Alby
xx
Hen lying tilted to one side.........

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 13:34
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 37 queries.