Sick Chick

• 9 Replies

chickenlittle

Sick Chick
« on: September 29, 2007, 19:56 »
:cry:
Can anyone help or advise please....
I have been keeping chickens for about 3 months now and recently bought a pair of crossed silkies from auction....
all was well until about 4 days ago when the silkie X hen had a problem opening her left eye....I tried bathing it to no avail and the next morning she had become very listless and kept falling asleep on her feet??? no other chickens were affected at this point and unfotunately she got worse and much to the disgust of my 7 year old I had to be cruel to be kind :cry:
2 days later my frizzle bantam hen had the same problems and today I have had to dispatch her to the big hen house in the sky also as I don't believe in animals suffering.
Has anyone experienced this before??
On inspecting both hens, there were no external signs of disease or bugs??
thanks sam
beer! helping uglee birds get laid since 1765

muntjac

Sick Chick
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 20:19 »
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/dissymp.htm

try this for most ailments i find its good diagnostics  :wink:
still alive /............

chickenlittle

Sick Chick
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 20:24 »
thanx  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Sick Chick
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 21:06 »
So sorry to hear of your problem chickenlittle !

The moral here is always quarantine new stock for a period of time.  How long would you suggest Munty ?

muntjac

Sick Chick
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 21:06 »
4 weeks minimum :wink:

chickenlittle

Sick Chick
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 21:25 »
thanks all for advice...have looked through your link munty and have narrowed it down to about 36 possibles!!!!
I'll keep an  eye on the other 1's

and in future use the quarantine rule :wink:

muntjac

Sick Chick
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 21:28 »
id call it a non specific for now ,treat the birds for worms and then treat the whole lot for mites lice etc , feed a few dandelion leaves as a pick up . if any more birds go down poorly take it to the vet who knows what he is doing . the symptoms are very vague if it shows any more different ones  let me ,anty sally know we may then come up with more advice . contact the seller through the auction house and check the health of the other birds in his flock :(

ness

• Experienced Member
Sick Chick
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 21:34 »
Hi Sam
Really sorry to hear about your chicken problems and losses  :( .  I have only owned chickens for 3 weeks but in that short time have already encountered a disease.
I have 5 light susssex bantams, a mother hen and 3 chicks and and older chick.  The older chick (daisy approx 10 weeks) had a slightly closing eye when I got her but this got worse and in the last week she was unable to open it and it has become swollen, sore and red.  I also tried bathing it, eye ointments etc but nothing helped.
Resorted to the vets today and she seemed to think it maybe Coryza, Daisy is on anti-b's and anti inflammatorys.  Fingercrossed for her.
I might not be the same thing but the eye sounded simiilar.  Hope the rest of your birds are ok.
Ness

chickenjohnok

Re: Sick Chick
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 23:02 »
Quote from: "chickenlittle"
:cry:
Can anyone help or advise please....
I have been keeping chickens for about 3 months now and recently bought a pair of crossed silkies from auction....
all was well until about 4 days ago when the silkie X hen had a problem opening her left eye....I tried bathing it to no avail and the next morning she had become very listless and kept falling asleep on her feet??? no other chickens were affected at this point and unfotunately she got worse and much to the disgust of my 7 year old I had to be cruel to be kind :cry:
2 days later my frizzle bantam hen had the same problems and today I have had to dispatch her to the big hen house in the sky also as I don't believe in animals suffering.
Has anyone experienced this before??
On inspecting both hens, there were no external signs of disease or bugs??
thanks sam
Sorry to hear about your birds , but it could be Marek's disease. You mentioned all this started with a silkie xyou bought-in, silkie are a funny bird to re-locate at times and can get very stressedquickly, and Marek's is a type of Herpes, and that can be brought on by stress. I know that you can get bay old's injected against it, dut I think their is on cure for older birds , dut hopefuliy I am totally wrong look it up on the tinter-net good luck.

chickenlittle

Sick Chick
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 01:11 »
thanks

xx
Sick Chick!

Started by Le Coq on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2007, 08:09
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sick chick

Started by Hayley'sHens on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 19:12
by Manlea1
xx
sick chick

Started by lindamary on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 22:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sick Chick

Started by heifer on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2007, 22:49
by Danielle280

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 37 queries.