Had to terminate allotment tenancy

• 17 Replies

NorfolkVeg

Had to terminate allotment tenancy
« on: October 02, 2011, 20:58 »
Sad news guys, I will this termnate my tenancy for the allotment, with only having just under a year.  So disappointed but my job changed (positively) in July and it is again in January nd  with 3 babies under 4 at home it will make it near impossible for any allotment work.   

Thanks for all your tips and hints along the way.  I guess i'll still be asking lots of questions of greenhouse and patio growing though next year!!

Rick

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Had to terminate allotment tenancy
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 21:09 »
Someone will be very lucky to have your plot  :D

And at least you're not actually leaving us. Sometimes you do have to prioritise and the little ones will enjoy spending time with you  :) :) :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 21:10 »
It sounds as though you've made the right decision.  Far better to make the decision yourself than be pushed into it.  The time will come when you can pick the lotty up again  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wighty

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 21:10 »
Don't worry about it.  We gave up ours three years ago  as we realised it had taken over our lives and there only being two of us, we were 'growing for the space we had, rather than what we could eat'.  We enlarged our garden growing capacity and now feel so much better than 'we've got to do this or that' and reallyl enjoy what we now grow and spending time with the Grandchild (lord of all he surveys (Submit your own title in that)).

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 21:23 »
I'm in the same situation as you.

I had some great crops from the allotment this year, even though I have probably only been down their about 6 times all year.  My potatoes and onions were the best I've ever had.

I have finally broken up most of the clay with 3 years of digging in lots of manure, but I just don't have the time anymore.  My job has changed (for the better)

I will be increasing production at home, we have a 15 foot square piece of lawn that we don't use, we have a 6 x 8 greenhouse on it, but thats about all thats useful on that section of the garden so the plan is to grow what we can where that lawn currently is.

Lots of raised beds so my wife can pop out and do the weeding.

All I need to do is move my Dwarf Apple Trees home once they are dormant then I shall be handing the keys over.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 22:00 »
I'm considering down-sizing too. The main plot must stay as we've had it for a long time and the plum trees are doing well but we recently acquired a piece of land opposite home and hope to bring that into production next year.

Better to hand over the keys than have someone suggest you do so I think.

Priorities change and growing what you enjoy is more important than slaving away when you'd rather not I think. ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 22:12 »
Don't fret too much about your plot NV. 

You'll be back to veg growing when the time is right for you :)

jmc1949

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 22:31 »
So sorry your having to give up your allotment. Same thing happened to me in the early 90's. Young family and work commitments and house move. Kid's now have left home and I don't work. Have my name down for an allotment again. I'm sure you'll get back to allotment gardening in the future when circumstances permit.
Jenny

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 23:15 »
Just seen on the local news that Brighton and Hove council are coming down on people who don't keep up their allotments.
They are issuing letters of warning 1) no weeding for plots that are overgrown then 2) lack of cultivation where nothing is being grown.
I think they're on the right track. There are loads of people waiting. I'm sure valid reasons like illness are acceptable but otherwise it's daft to hang on to land that you can't maintain so you're doing the right thing.
In Southampton many of the big allotments are close to council estates (maybe that's why they were originally planned) and you would need a car to travel unless you lived there. Small pockets of plots are be privately owned and several have been built on. Garden production or finding a neighbour who would share seems better all round. Much easier access......

stompy

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 12:54 »
Im thinking on the same lines too.

After a house/plot move i have never got back to the same stage as i was on the old plot.

I don't have the time i used to due to the same, kids/job and general time commitments.

The guy next to me has reported my plot (rightly so) as it's prety badly overgrown now and i don't have the time to get there and sort it.

Im only keeping it at the moment because people i know keep telling me to and im not sure anymore.  :unsure:

So your not alone  ;)

Andy

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 13:48 »
Have fun with the kids Rick and you can grow loads in even a small garden .... plus you can teach the kids loads so you've got helpers for a new plot when they're a bit bigger  ;)

Springlands

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 14:17 »
Hi Rick - I grow veggies in my own garden and greenhouse and have done really well this year despite the rather difficult weather conditions - still picking lots of tomatoes every day from the GH. You have made the right decision and with a little planning  you can get good returns from  your garden.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 17:19 »
For those who are considering downsizing to garden growing, don't forget John's book on growing in smaller spaces
See here

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 19:48 »
I don't know how you find the time to do what you do do...You must be exhausted.

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 01:10 »
And when the babies have grown and then you could be back on the allotment, teaching willing helpers.
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

xx
Conditions of tenancy

Started by Markus The Veg on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post November 17, 2006, 00:12
by noshed
xx
allotment law

Started by woozie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 19:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
new allotment

Started by bonjives on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2007, 09:57
by grunt&groan
xx
new allotment

Started by lucia on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 17:11
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.831 seconds with 38 queries.