covering allotment

• 12 Replies

Charl89

• Experienced Member
covering allotment
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:21 »
I hope this is in the right place, didnt know where else to put it. lol

I have recently had not much time on my allotment due to work and as the weeds were just growing so stupid i  thought i would get some carpet from our dump (tonnes of it there for free) and cover the areas i am no longer using. I thought it was a brilliant idea as it saves me so much time and energy i dont have. but then my neighbour said you shouldnt do that as it makes the weeds worse. i didnt think anything of it as i just thought it would be the same as covering it with that black plastic.

any advice with this would be great. the carpet is not staying down all the time just whilst the weeds are going nuts.

Sue33

Re: covering allotment
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:28 »

it will stop the weeds but most allotment sites don't allow carpet to be used anymore, apparently chemical and dyes can leach into the soil - maybe you could ask someone on your committee ?

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:32 »
the allotment we have doesnt have a committe and we dont have rules except no fires or animals. it is very relaxed as the place nearly got shut down (old guy didnt wanna do it anymore) so someone said well i'll get rent to pay for the water and everyone can have an allotment still. 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 13:47 »
Sue33 is spot on regarding the chemicals and dyes.

Still, it's your choice. You've got to eat the produce grown in them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 14:42 »
Leaching of chemicals aside, the weeds do grow through the carpet as it rots, and then it is impossible to lift without putting your back out  :(
While it's down couch grass and bindweed will just spread sideways, under the cover, till they find the light  :ohmy:

bigben

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 15:20 »
I have used carpet before and still have some on my site (on top of weed fabric as a sort of path between rows of fruit bushes). It is not a good idea long term - as weeds can grow thru it and it is a nightmare to remove once this starts to happen. You could perhaps use decent weed fabric and then put carpet down on top of that to hold it down and allow you to walk on it without tearing the fabric. If you choose to use it think of it as a temporarly measure to buy you some time but plan to replace with something more eco- friendly.

As others have suggested - there might be something in the "chemicals leaking into the soil" idea - though this is perhaps a drop in the ocean compared to how some allotments have been treated over the years. Previous tenants burning wood with toxic paints on it, weedkillers and pesticides used that are now banned. Wood used for raised beds found in skips that happens to be coated with a variety of non eco stuff, sleepers oozing creasote etc.

I have been getting wood chip and doing my main path with it - next step is to start using it on top of the weed fabric to replace the strip of carpet.

If work is meaning you cannot get on top of weeding- what about allowing a friend to look after a bed or two for a season?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 17:23 »
I have not used carpet for this purpose (reasons given) but used black weed suppressant membrane instead, weighed down with bricks and planks of wood  to stop it blowing away, and sometimes thick black plastic.

If you don't exclude all light weeds just grow under or through these mulchy materials.

Stuff like couch grass and bindweed doesn't die off but is at least white and easy to see against the soil when you clear an area to strat to dig it over.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 21:50 »
thanks for the tips guys. the carpet will only be on for about a month and go back to the dump. in regards to getting someone to take over being 22 none of my friends are interested in this kind of thing. i am hoping to have more time in the next week, i have been down today clearing and sorting stuff out so i can get this carpet up and out.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 00:03 »
The woven black sheet mulch is fabulous stuff and will keep weeds at bay and the soil in good condition as well. 

Carpet also breaks down into tiny bits that are impossible to get rid of. Terrible stuff.   Cardboard would be much better and it's easily obtainable from your local electricity shops.  I never throw a big piece of cardboard away  :D

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 00:47 »
How about covering your plot with....CHICKENS!
These little destructo-scratchers will decimate the weeds, riddle out all the stones and leave a fine bare soil that has even been manured!!!
Just a silly suggestion..... ::)

noshed

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 10:48 »
I've just roughly cleared my plot of 3' high weeds - alright I've been busy elsewhere...
I discovered David Attenborough and a film crew in amongst my beans by the way.
I've piled all the stuff on my compost heaps and watered the plot with glyphosate to try to bash the bindweed back. Not a perfect solution but it should hold things until I can get digging.
I spent too long getting rid of carpet I inherited to try that again.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

digwell123

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 13:52 »
Hi, took over a plot that had been half covered with carpet and half left un covered. Turned it over a few times and sowed some green manure (mustard) Where the carpet was has come up thin and poor, the uncovered bit the crop is a foot higher and much thicker. I blame the carpet, it had been down 2 years and was rotten.
Rotorvators rule!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 15:58 »
I would of thought that the weeds will be slowing down now anyway, chickweed will be the main one and you can just dig that in as a green manure.
Can you not borrow a petrol strimmer from anyone and just popped down whenever you and give it a quick going over?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Covering allotment ground

Started by Harrisc0 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 15:51
by sunshineband
xx
What needs covering

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 20:00
by NorfolkVeg
xx
what needs covering........

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 08:05
by Stratts
xx
covering garden

Started by kitch on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 15:01
by Steveharford

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 32 queries.