rhubarb

• 10 Replies

Neil Doncaster

• Experienced Member
rhubarb
« on: September 25, 2011, 20:45 »
Hello all,
Can I harvest rhubarb all year round or is it between certain months of the year the plant I have got is growing at a fair rate of knots Advice please.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 21:38 »
to a certain point you can however at this time of year leave the plant alone so that it will feed itself for winter and give it a dollop of manure

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 21:42 »
First good frost, it'll be curtains, then that's it until spring.

At this time of year it can contain an excess of oxalyic acid.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Neil Doncaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 20:13 »
 cheers many thanks gang

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 23:17 »
Rhubarb seems to have had an unusual amount of late growth round my way after being knocked back badly by the dry weather. Some of mine was snapped off in the storms the other week so I ate it - waste not want not! It wasn't acidic and was a lovely red colour like it usually is at height of spring growth.

Scoobydoo

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 23:21 »
Hello there.  Just joined up to seek advice on caring for my new rhubarb plants.  I grew them from seed and have harvested for the first time this year.  I have done very well and would like to give them a rest now, but wonder whether I should cut/twist off any remaining rhubarb stalks (each plant has plenty!), or just cut off the leaves and leave the stalks to die back.  I'm worried that if I put a load of manure on top of all the remaining growth it will encourage mould and other nasties getting into the crowns.  I live on a hill which is quite exposed to wind and rain and want to protect 'my babies' over the autumn/winter months.   Any advice would be most welcome.

sarajane

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 00:04 »
Hi  At this time of year I just leave the plant to die back naturally and give it a dollop of manure.  Rhubarb seems to be one of the ones that do not suffer from the 'nasties' but it does need a good rest so it can supply you with lots more next spring.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 06:30 »
Once mine have died back I clear any debris and then pile round lots of well rotted stable manure,not directly on the crowns though.....around late jan I chuck a thick layer of straw over them which is a simple way of light 'forcing'.....I find if you straw them too early it just turns into a pile of mush by early spring.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 08:02 »
Once the rhubarb has stopped producing new shoots, usually July, the old stems build up oxalic acid which can cause digestive problems.

The season is from April to June, depending on variety.

Kieronl

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 08:59 »
In the last month ours have been very busy with new growth.

Scoobydoo

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 20:06 »
Thanks for all the good advice.  I'll just love 'em and leave 'em for the time being and give them a dollop of manure when the leaves and stalks have died back a bit more.  Thanks for the straw tip too.  This year I didn't get any of the nice pink slim sticks that you usually see in the shops, more a light green speckled with red.  I'll try the straw early next year.
Cheers.

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2017, 13:11
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
rhubarb

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2007, 12:13
by mum of 3
question
Rhubarb

Started by madge on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 12:37
by corynsboy

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 28 queries.