Disheartened by pests!

• 2 Replies

Totty

Disheartened by pests!
« on: September 25, 2011, 20:01 »
This year i have had the following problems....
 Leek moth, infesting every leek before harvest time
 Cabbage root fly, killing off all of our winter greens
 carrot root fly, say no more!
 Slugs
 Butterfly
 Aphids
 I know everyone experiences certain pests every year and that it is part and parcel of what we all do and love. But, after losing all of our winter greens to root fly, it seemed too late to re-sow, i therefore ordered both winter and spring brassiccas from DT Browns. All fine until today when i noticed two of my caulis, which were growing really well, had collapsed, on pulling out of frustration i see that the stems have been nibbled all the way round! Is this common slug damage?
 Maybe there is already a long term thread on this but could anybody suggest there own ways in which they deal with the day to day battle against everything that wants to eat what we grow?
 Im sure there are some excellent organic controls that people use to help........

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Disheartened by pests!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 20:15 »
This year i have had the following problems....
 Leek moth, infesting every leek before harvest time....Envirmesh next year
Cabbage root fly, killing off all of our winter greens ...ditto or collars round the stems
carrot root fly, say no more! Enviromesh
Slugs organic slug pellets
Butterfly..netting
Aphids...spray with water/washing up liquid solution

I know everyone experiences certain pests every year and that it is part and parcel of what we all do and love. But, after losing all of our winter greens to root fly, it seemed too late to re-sow, i therefore ordered both winter and spring brassiccas from DT Browns. All fine until today when i noticed two of my caulis, which were growing really well, had collapsed, on pulling out of frustration i see that the stems have been nibbled all the way round! Is this common slug damage?
 Maybe there is already a long term thread on this but could anybody suggest there own ways in which they deal with the day to day battle against everything that wants to eat what we grow?
 Im sure there are some excellent organic controls that people use to help........

well that's what I do  ;)

Matthew Gayles

Re: Disheartened by pests!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:14 »
Dont be too disheartend! There's always next year. ive lost nearly all my leeks this year as well and next year i will enviromesh them. This year i havent had my Kale mauled by caterpillars as i have enviromenshed them from the beggining, unlike last years labour intensive caterpillar squashing sessions. oh yes, mice/voles ate all my beetroot this year dont know how to stop them yet bar traps. any advice?

xx
Disheartened

Started by alimilly on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 22:08
by alimilly
xx
Getting disheartened

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 14:34
by DD.
xx
Disheartened....

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 08:14
by Swing Swang
xx
Disheartened

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 18, 2020, 20:09
by chillimummy

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 29 queries.