Disheartened....

• 21 Replies

shay

Disheartened....
« on: March 23, 2012, 00:15 »
Had my plot for almost two years now and aside from last years tomato blight been pretty succesful. This year ahead of the game with both seeds, most of the raised beds done on the new additional neighbouring plot however everything I have planted has been decimated by rats.

Never had a rat problem and I can only link it to the compost bin I have on the plot. Previously never had one as had always bought my compost.

Not been close to quitting even when local vandals wrecked the site where as now its an enemy that hides most of the time.

I can't see any visible rat entry and the fences are too high for the rabbits to be causing the destruction.

What are my options in dealing with this? I am thinking that I get rid of the compost heap (pretty low as recently just started), fencing is wired fencing but may get some even smaller holed ones as a double barrier and maybe a few rat traps dotted around. Would consider poision but not sure which ones are best that wouldn't affect my crops further down the line. Money is tight, so the most effective methods with the lowest costs would be a win/win situation.

The council have kindly decided after me badgering them to come down to take a look next thursday however many of us are not keen on planting anymore for fear of them just being eaten in the meantime and even then they are not to keen on actually doing anything.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Disheartened....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:55 »
Don't give up Shay  :)

I have multiple compost bins on my plot and have never had rat problems, but are you composting cooked food  :unsure:  That would attract vermin.

Which crops have you lost?  Its early for direct sowing so a bit more detail might help everyone advise you whether its pests, weather or just one of those things.  Mice and voles are pretty voracious seed thieves and pigeons will peck seedlings when there's not much else around.  Muntjac are another possibility - I have to net all my early crops or they nibble the tops off everything this time of year.  Lack of options drives them to be bolder  :) 

CaroleG

• Grow, Cook, Eat It Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:17 »
Have you spoken to someone from your allomtment committee? In some circumstances your local council will deal with rat problems and if it's a site wide issue (which I presume it is- or soon will be!) then your committee ought to be able to help (they may even have made provision for dealing with issues like this)
Hope you can get it sorted  :(

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 07:20 »
It's a war of attrition as far as vermin are concerned. Hit 'em, hit 'em hard, hit 'em collectively, hit 'em continuously. This means allotment holders acting together to address the problem. Whilst you may feel more comfortable bringing in a professional initially for advice, long-term you're going to have to keep an eye on the situation weather that be with traps, poison, air rifles, terriers, ferret droppings etc etc. Also look about about 300 yards outside the allotments and see if there is another source of the infestation (eg unsecure shop bins, discarded take aways, livestock (including chickens!) etc). Speak politely to those concerned, get environmental health and the council involved etc. Look at your own routines (what you're composting etc). You can easily get this down to manageable levels, you might even enjoy it eventually, I know I do!

In 2006 I put down 26kg of poison, electrocuted about a dozen, and trapped about two dozen more. There were so many in the Feb/March that they would scurry away down the path on the way to the compost heap. Now with all of these measures in place my bait stations are rarely touched, and I probably trap 0-2 of the blighters each year. I've also become quite good as spotting evidence of rats, and I'm pleased to say that I rarely see their droppings, scrapes holes etc etc.

SS

shay

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 12:06 »
Thanks for the reply guys.

Compost is literally peelings, shredded paper and grass cuttings. No cooked foods go near it.

Council are aware and after many emails have finally decided to grace us with their presence next Thursday. Our allotment in the grand scheme of things is out of the way and is last on the list for things to happen plus its only at about 30% capacity so there is plenty of overgrown weeds, brambles etc for pests to live in. Rabbits are everywhere, even more so than the rats.

There is one person who has poultry however he has had them there for over 4 years and as far as I am aware the way in which he feeds them etc hasn't changed.

@Swing Swang...whats the best poison to put down? Did you use the humane traps or the full on back breaker ones.

Agatha

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 12:16 »
Are there any obvious signs of rats?  I have loads round my area, but they don't cause crop damage - that is done by the deer & the voles - my plot is full of vole holes & they munch the beans & peas before they even come up!  Try growing stuff in modules (especially legumes) where possible so they stand a chance when planted out.  Also netting crops or covering with fleece/cloches might help.  Might be worth putting a trap down to see what you catch.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:58 »
I have one rat living in my compost heap and I know there must be more on the allotment side as I have seen their tracks in the snow. But I had never any damage from rats on my crops. The most damage is done by rabbits, voles, mice and pigeons. Especially early spring if there is not a lot to eat around they will eat everything which looks nice and green on the allotment. I net everything or put wire mesh over the seedlings. That helps.

If you don`t see obvious signs of rats on your allotment (like droppings, tunnels in and around the compost heap, signs of rummage in the fresh peelings, etc) I would think not rats are causing your damage but more likely mice, voles or pigeons (maybe even rabbits which found a hole in the fence).

shay

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 16:10 »
I can see no visible signs of Rats however they have been spotted during the day on the allotment which has loads of overgrown plots, plus a couple of the other plot holders with large polytunnels have caught some but we are all having seeds and pea's been eaten. I have currently netted everything although not sure how efficient that is towards mice who would probably chew through it perhaps?

I may have to go down the route of netting absolutely everything when its planted out and in some cases put the fine mesh fencing in and around the raised beds which make weeding a pain but may go some way to protecting the crops along with generally making the plot a hazard to any pests that come on to it.

If it were mice, would it simply be a case of traps or would they also need a dose of something to deter?

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 17:38 »
Cant advise on rabbits, my happy acre is at home so my dog and good fences keep rabbits off. For rats because I have ducks which need feed and bales of straw etc and also because my grandkids run around the garden with usual scrapes of knees and fingers in mouths etc I put down rat poison from the start. I took advice from my local agricultural supplier and got proper bait boxes etc, all baits kept under lock and key, gloves used etc. Not cheap but proper way in my opinion.
I also have rat traps under duck run and mouse traps in sheds, polytunnel and garage baited with peanut butter, checked every week. In first year found one or two rats trapped or dead and a good few mice but over last year or so never a rat and rarely a mouse.
Not to mean they are not there but certainly I never have a problem. Bonus seems to be all the hedgehogs are back - connection??. Means I have to keep rat traps in narrow spaces though.
R

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 18:09 »
Our council is generally reluctant to put rat traps down unless we can identify their runs / holes.

As for your compost bin, empty it out (gives you the chance to use it or give it a good stir anyway), put weldmesh underneath the bottom, and then put the bin back on top.  Will stop any rats getting into it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Wattsy

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 18:57 »
no such thing as humane traps for rats its illegal to release them alive
if a man who can't count finds a four-leaved clover is he lucky?

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 19:25 »
Are you sure the problem is rats ? Iwould have thought the rabbits would be the biggest pest and you should use chicken wire fences with the bottom 12 ins into the ground angled outwards plus any bushes trees etc should have a guard fitted  and a paint over with a dilute soln containing tabasco .
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 21:23 »
 I had a huge rat living under my shed, I'm pretty sure it wasnt living alone either given the noises I could hear.

I was given some chicken feed which I planned to take home a bucketful each visit to my patch. The next day I was in dismay that the rats had eaten their way through the bag and happy munching away on the chicken feed.

I chose to lure the rats into a false sense of security. After a week of letting them munch I put down rat poison, and "BINGO" my plot and shed became a rodent graveyard. :D

I know it sounds cruel but they are horrible creatures that spread all manor of nastiest and eat my crops.

Although I must say some of my crops do still get eaten which is due to either the voles, rabbits, dear or pheasants but you just cant win them all.

The way I look at it, something is better than nothing. Chin up and dont let the rotters win!!!

alimilly

• Life and Love of the Millys
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 00:29 »
Shay - where in Staines are you?  I'm in Staines too,  at Shortwood North.

viettaclark

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 01:50 »
I've got a new pest....squirrels!!!
They haven't done much damage in the past but now they're digging holes in my newly sown beds...not to get the seeds but to bury monkey nuts. AND I've got chicken wire round and netting over. Little varmints!

xx
Disheartened

Started by alimilly on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 22:08
by alimilly
xx
Disheartened

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 18, 2020, 20:09
by chillimummy
xx
Getting disheartened

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 14:34
by DD.
xx
Disheartened with plot

Started by Hevski on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2022, 18:26
by Clactonite

Page created in 0.792 seconds with 38 queries.