It wasn't old age in the end :( :(

• 12 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
It wasn't old age in the end :( :(
« on: September 23, 2011, 18:24 »
I posted the other day asking about old age in my ex-batts, as Nelly was becoming very slow and doddery. Well the chicken grim reaper visited last night...in the shape of Mr Fox. He took Nelly and killed her and then tried to kill Flo, but luckily my son heard the commotion and went flying out into the garden, scaring the fox off and Flo was saved, minus lots of feathers, but alive and uninjured. It was as they were putting themselves to bed....7:30pm  :ohmy:
I was out, thankfully, and had the bad news when I got home. My son had buried her, bless his teenage (yes, I know!!) heart xxx
So it wasnt old age that took my darling Nelly after all, but I'm happy she went quickly instead of it being dragged out for days as it seemed it was going to be with her slowly deteriorating  :(
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: It wasn't old age in the end :( :(
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 18:34 »
sorry to hear of nellys demise but i think mother nature intervened so she never suffered

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 18:42 »
So sorry to hear this sad news Carly. Lets just hope that it was very quick. Nelly is now up there in Chookie Heaven with the others.

Big hugs coming over to you from la belle France!

Mary.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 20:48 »
Sad news  :( but atleast she did not spend her whole life as a battery hen and has had your love and attention which will have made her life a happier one.  Remember to say well done from us to your son, you should be really proud of him being so thoughtfull.  He is a credit to you.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 06:40 »
Sorry to hear about Nelly at least she knew what being a chicken was all about with you, how is Flo? I hope she isn't traumatised by the attack :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 09:24 »
It would have been quick so poor Nelly wouldn't have known much about it Carla.  Like everyone else has said, she had a wonderful golden retirement being a proper chicken  :)

Hope Flo is OK and gets over it soon.  Really good news she has no bites.  Chickens are tough little critters and their powers of recovery are amazing at times  :)

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 12:27 »
Flo's fine, she's a tough old bird. She's survived the battery farm, a dog attack, a huge prolapse and a fox attack....I though it was cats that had 9 lives!!
The flock wont go down the bottom of the garden now though and are petrified of the end of the run that nelly was attacked in, getting them to bed last night was a mission, but they seem less tetchy today. I like to think it was Mother Nature doing her bit for Nelly too.
We've trained the dog to run down the garden barking whenever we say 'FOX', so she was sent out regularly at dusk last night, letting Mr Fox that big bad Maisy lives here (she's a half soaked labrador!)  :D
Flo is currently sat in the dogs bed, watching Top Gear...normal business resumed :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 14:49 »
Flo is currently sat in the dogs bed, watching Top Gear...normal business resumed :)

:lol: 

NormandyMary

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 22:12 »
They do LOVE the telly dont they? Monty used to adore watching the cricket!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 01:34 »
What a shock!  :(  That wasn't the news I was expecting of poor Nelly!  You're right though, if she was likely to have a long, drawn-out fading away, at least this way it was quick.

I second ANHBUC's views about your son.  I don't know many teenage boys who would be that thoughtful, to have buried Nelly before you got home.  That's a boy to be proud of.

Carla

• Experienced Member
Re: It wasn't old age in the end :( :( Little bit of revenge :)
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 23:06 »
 :D :D Just heard a noise at the back door, and when I opened it, there was Mr Fox!! My lab Maisy went bombing out after it, chased it all round our garden, into the chicken run and the fox was trying to clear the fence to the field behind, but couldn't. Maisy chased it up and down until it scrabbled over next doors fence. It nearly had a heart attack trying to get out. Dont think that one will be back in a hurry. Kill my chicken will you!! Mwhahahaaaaa  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 23:14 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would have paid to see that. 
I worry about our poorly old cat, the hens are secure but hope the fox is not hungry enough to have a go at her.  She is in and out of the cat flap all night but hopefully Mr Fox won't tackle a cat.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 16:39 »
Nice one Maisie  :D  :D

xx
Wasn't expecting that, now with pix

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 20:15
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 29 queries.