Southernwood and pecking

• 5 Replies

makedoandmend

Southernwood and pecking
« on: September 22, 2011, 17:33 »
Hello folks,

I'm looking for a supplier where I might get a southernwood plant. I get the impression that it doesn't set seed in our climate but it can be cultivated from cuttings. My grandparents grew it years ago and it gave off a fresh 'clean' aroma.

It has a very ancient history and is reputed to reduce feather pecking in chickens - it's beneficial healthwise for them too.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Makedoandmend - although it's been more 'mend' today!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Southernwood and pecking
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 21:05 »
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 21:24 »
or this one www.buyherbs.co.uk/page4.html quite fancy some myself as it is said to keep flies and moths away if hung indoors.  Seems a reasonable price on this site.

a quick google found this place:-

http://www.garden-centre.org/plants/Southernwood.htm
 Tried this link and it does have a picture of Southernwood but when you go to buy it they don't have it listed, they have different varieties but not the Southernwood.

Just checked the buyherbs website and they are out of stock.  This website has some but their prices for delivery seem expensive.  www.jekkasherbfarm.com/details_new.asp?productid=40

You could try on the Swop Shop and Recycle to see if any members have the plant and could send you a cutting.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 21:56 by ANHBUC »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 03:18 »
Very interesting!  I hadn't heard of Southernwood so I looked it up.  I love Wikipedia as a first stop on my journey, so here's what I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_%28genus%29

Southernwood is part of the Artemisia genus, which includes wormwood and a variety of other herbs.  The thing they have in common is their volatile oils.  These oils are often reputed to be insect repellents of various sorts.

I grow wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) in my garden, planted especially for the chickens with this pest-repellent idea in mind.  They don't seem to like the taste and rarely take tiny nibbles from the leaves.  I keep the plants trimmed as they are very invasive in my climate, and I dry the trimmings and throw them on the floor of the coop as an old-fashioned 'strewing herb.'

I also grow tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) for the same reason.

So far I haven't had any red mites, fleas, dragons or evil spirits in the coop so the system must be working!  :D  For Hillfooter's benefit I can also recommend them as elephant repellents.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20 »
Southernwood should be easy to grow from cuttings and will do well in our climate. It may well be known by other names depending upon what part of the country you are in. My Mother-in-Law calls it 'apple ringy'.

If you grow wormwood be careful where you plant it. It has an inhibitor which can stop other plants growing around it!! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

makedoandmend

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 16:53 »
Folks,

I found some southernwood on ebay in the end - Candlesby herbs in Lincolnshire. Beautifully packed, but Royal Mail let me down during our mini heat wave and it's looking rather sorry for itself.

I've potted it up and there still seems to be a little bit of life so here's hoping.

Once the lottie comes through I'm hoping to keep Indian runners so the info about red mite and wormwood etc. was helpful - thanks.

Regards,

xx
hen pecking .

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2015, 11:06
by Sassy
xx
Hen mis-pecking

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 26, 2015, 08:38
by Sassy
xx
egg pecking?

Started by chickchick on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 13:11
by raeburg
xx
hen pecking

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 13:59
by Foxy

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 38 queries.