Its all gone horribly wrong...

• 34 Replies

freebirdy

Re: Its all gone horribly wrong...
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 10:20 »
I recently went thru the same thing as u when I introduced 3 new girlss into my flock. I openly cried at what I saw going on so I know how u feel. The good news... it does get better. My poor little baby blue poland was getting atacked by ALL of the birds, even the other 2 newbies I had introduced her with, one being her own mum!! 2 weeks on and they are all mixing freely in the garden.
Still the odd peck + squawk but my original girls do this to each other anyway, it's just chicken ways! Little Luci now dives in at evening corn/treat time and races away with her bounty!! Please belive me it will get better. I cried so much and was so strerssed out I also wished I had never introduced new birds, but all is well now!
They will sort it out. It's natures way but horribe to watch. Stick with it, try not to feel too guilty, you have given a home to new birds and you obviously love what you do otherwise you wouldn't have wanted to get new chooks.
I sobbed and sobbed for days and my poor fiance didn't know what to do with me most of the time! Don't regret what you have done, I don't regret my new birds now, but if you had asked me two weeks ago I would have done anything to take them back to the breeder - but I'm so glad now I didn't! Stay strong - all my love - keep with it!! XX

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 13:04 »
Okay, today its all change - after a quiet night, and all 4 coming out this morning, the little girls are pretty much staying up in the house - every time they try and come down hell is breaking loose. They did eat first thing, but my question is now, should I put a bit of food and water in the house?

When one comes down, the other 2 pounce big style - like dive on her ..... there is no blood on either of the 2 new girls, but by god it looks AWFUL

Who would have thought chickens could cause so much grief!

Casey76

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 13:31 »
They are just chickens being chickens.  The more you interfere the longer it will take to get sorted out.

If there is no blood being drawn, then they aren't doing much damage, no matter how awful it looks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 13:49 »
Is letting the established birds out to free range for a while an option?  I would hesitate on letting the newbies out as they don't see your main coop as home yet, but could give them a chance to get established in their new home.

Multiple feeders and drinkers are a very good idea so everyone has access to what they need.  If that means some in the house for a day or two, then do it.

They will make a racket before a beak has even touched them so don't worry about the pouncing.  Pushing another hen down is a dominance display and the newbies will crouch and submit for now  :)

chickee

• Just guarding . . .
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 17:57 »
Went through the same a few weeks ago with two new POL being introduced to an elderly ex-bat.  The ex-bat had the run of the garden as usual and we put the new ones in a makeshift run which they could eye each other up through.  Old one eventually got bored and continued to dig up the beetroot so while she was occupied we let other two out and watched from a distance.  By dusk old one and one new one had gone into coop - we popped the little one in with them and waited for all hell to break loose.  All was well until daybreak when I am sure the whole village must have heard the uproar.  Ran up and let them out - lots of feathers but they all appeared to be quite relaxed once they were out. 

That night we herded them all in and put an old blanket over the window of the coop so that they didn't wake up quite so early.  We put down several plates of pellets and bowls of water for a few days and threw treats on the floor so they could eat near each other without getting too close.  Used the blanket for a couple more nights and then left it off.

All seems to be going very well now and they are always together now with the old one definitely boss.  Eggs being laid and snuggled up together at night time.  I think if they are  all reasonably strong healthy birds they will sort themselves out.

Chickee

xx
What could be wrong with my hen?

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 11:47
by hillfooter
question
What are we doing wrong

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 08:16
by jo40
xx
is something wrong?

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 08:22
by k4t1e195
xx
what am I doing wrong????

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

34 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 13:36
by matilda duck

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 29 queries.