Its all gone horribly wrong...

• 34 Replies

Beano

Re: Its all gone horribly wrong...
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18 »
Introducing newbies is very stressful. To be honest I think it was more stressful for me than it was for the chickens. Apparently it's because I give them human feelings (according to my husband).I just didn't realize that chickens could be so nasty.
I also found that the second in line was the most aggressive. She's the one most likely to lose her place in the pecking order I suppose.
We were able to give the new girls somewhere to escape to because the older chickens were not athletic enough to get up to high perches. Are you able to give yours somewhere to escape?
Be prepared for the long haul because it lasted weeks both times we introduced new ones.
Good luck.
El.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 10:24 »
Right now, I would do anything to turn back the clock, and not have got the 2 new ones. I feel dreadful. Its all fine when everyone (ie 2 new girls) are standing still and not trying to do anything, but once they start to walk, big girls set on them.

Horrible seeing animals who are such wonderful company behaving like this.

Beano

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 11:29 »
STAY WITH IT, stay with it.
It took at least 6 weeks but when I saw one of the new girls having a dustbath with top hen it was such a joy.
The "second in command" still has a go every now and then even thouth she's half the size of the one she's bullying.
It's only the first day and THINGS WILL GET BETTER honest.

dinosaw

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 12:33 »
I can only echo what Beano says, it took around 4-5 weeks for mine to settle down and the change from when they first met is unbelievable. The smallest which got a right mauling at the start will now steal treats out of my top birds mouth and then leg it like like crazy to wolf them down. It really is great to see the four of them scratching together like they have always been friends. You have done the right thing adding them honestly.

Casey76

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 13:15 »
It's where the terms "hen pecked" and "pecking order" come from.  Hens can be vicious, and if you try to  stop it (i.e. with a water pistol) then you are only going to prolong the bickering.

Stand back and let them get on with it (purple spray to hand in case there is any blood drawn).

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 14:05 »
I didnt do the water pistol, thought better of it, and have left them to it, though it is breaking my heart. No blood, but by god those girls are taking a battering - they keep popping into the house for some respite!

Goodness only knows what tonight holds ......

dinosaw

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 15:50 »
Are they getting to feed?

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 16:04 »
There is food all of the place to be honest - I scattered lots to make sure they can eat, and have distracted big girls with greens and given little girls a pile of pellets, they havent eaten from the feeders (which have been knocked over 3 times today each in all the cuffuffal (SP), but there is so much on the ground, I know they have eaten. They have also had some greens, and I have seen them both drinking.

Its torture isnt it

dinosaw

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 16:30 »
Its not nice at all.
However on a plus point if they are feeding and haven't acquired any open wounds they will be ok. Im far from being an expert but from what i have seen it seems as if the resident birds feel they have to dish out a certain amount of punishment to the newcomers to make their point (which is why intervening just seems to prolong it). After that it settles down to a a lower intensity of bullying, now and next few days should be by far the worst you see.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 18:48 »
My ex-batts gave my chickies hell for weeks...and they STILL wont fully accept them, but my babies had each other and just seemed to shrug off the others pecking them and not letting them into the coop at night. The only thing I did to interfere, was take Flo, my top hen out of the shared coop at night and put her in the naughty coop if she didnt let the little ones in for bed. She soon learned :) Its stressful, beyond belief, but it is natures way and they will sort themselves out xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 19:48 »
Oh my goodness ................

2 little girls took themselves off into the house at about 6,30 (they havent been going to bed till 7.45!), and were joined at 7.30 by the 2 big girls - I was waiting for the shouting and flying birds, but no, all quiet, noone came back out, and I have been and shut the door and cant hear anything!

Fingers crossed!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 19:56 »
Yeay :) they usually have a scrap in the morning...there's was feathers everywhere the first few weeks, but as I said, it didnt seem to bother the babies very much. They'll be fine once they've sorted out the pecking order :) My babies have got HUGE now and the ex-batts are a bit 'OH BLIMEY!!', and leave them alone pretty much xx

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 07:42 »
Glad it seems to be settling down SurreyLass, but please relax  :)  If you are stressed and running out to them all the time while they sort this out, it will only make things worse - honest  ;)

Chickens are very territorial and very protective of their slot in the pecking order, but in the end they will work out where everyone's place is.  I've done 4 intros of new birds now as my first lot were 8 years ago now.  Except for my 2 little Serama cockerals who lived as brothers for months before deciding they hated each other's guts and had to be separated, everyone has been fine.  Give it time and try and take a step back  :)

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 08:11 »
Luckily I can watch from a distance - my kitchen window looks out across the garden and then to the girls, so I dont have to be out there disturbing them!

This morning, everyone came out and had something to eat, but little girls went back into the house - I forsee a face off though, as biggies will want to lay anytime now!!!

Beano

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 09:02 »
The first few evenings I used to stand outside with my ear against the vent listening intently for the slightest squawk. It must have been a strange sight.
It sounds as if things are getting a bit better for you and that the youngsters are working out how to avoid the others.
But as I said it's quite ofter worse for us than them. The guilt doesn't help either.
As long as they are getting food and drink they are ok, the others will get tired of chasing them eventually.

question
What are we doing wrong

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 08:16
by jo40
xx
is something wrong?

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 08:22
by k4t1e195
xx
what am I doing wrong????

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

34 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 13:36
by matilda duck
xx
What's wrong with my hen?

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2007, 18:45
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 38 queries.