What changes affect Laying?

• 8 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
What changes affect Laying?
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:57 »
You might have read my other post about my new girls I got on Saturday.
After my big girls had laid on Saturdau, they moved into their new house. Both laid beautifully in the nest boxes on Sunday and Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, only one laid, and again today ..................... they both seem their normal bonkers selves, just the lack of egg!

Any advice please?

Helenaj

Re: What changes affect Laying?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:08 »
Have they started to moult? If not, then it could simply be that they are settling in and should be fine after a week or so. The eggs that have been laid may already have been in the pipeline, so to speak.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 00:18 »
Any change can affect laying.  Some girls seem especially sensitive wee souls and will go on strike for any reason - change of food, new introductions, change of litter in their nest box...

When I went on holiday for a week, my pullets stopped laying for two weeks in protest.  ::)

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:00 »
Any change can affect laying.  Some girls seem especially sensitive wee souls and will go on strike for any reason - change of food, new introductions, change of litter in their nest box...

When I went on holiday for a week, my pullets stopped laying for two weeks in protest.  ::)

They obviously missed you a lot - or were peeved they couldn't come with you!

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 07:38 »
I think perhaps the problem isnt quite not laying - when checking the nest box yesterday I saw a bit of gloop, emptied the bedding and took the slatted flooring up to discover lots more gloop (yellowy so looks like yoke and white) but I could only find the smallest bit of egg shell - looked paler than usual, but not too soft or anything ........

Lets just say that I have my beady eyes on them this morning - want to find out who it was, and why!

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:58 »
Now they are really confusing me.

After discovering the 'eaten' egg yesterday and giving the nest boxes a good clean out, I thought that I hadnt put enough bedding in there, so I made it all nice and cosy redy for this mornings activity, and set myself the task of finding out which madam was having the trouble.

Anyway, they were both up in the house, and had been for a while, so I popped out, and opened the roof to discover top hen laying on the house floor - (nice egg mind!) - since Sunday morning they have laid in the nest boxes.

What on earth am I doing wrong all of a sudden? I want to get it all sorted before I integrate the 2 new girls who are currently in the run next to the main one.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:02 »
You don't say how old your new girls are. If they are new to laying I would say you have done well and there are ususally one or two anomalies when they first come into lay. Also they can be caught by surprise and lay where they are. Whatever age they are the move could upset them and again I would say you have done well. It sounds as though it is all settling down anyway. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:11 »
Thanks for replying - these are my existing girls that are messing about - they have been laying since April (beginning and mid). The 2 new girls are still a few weeks off yet.

Interestingly, top hen is the one who just laid on the floor this morning, and other hen (who has done a few 'interesting' lays over her laying time) is up there now, but top hen has just gone up ....................

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:22 »
Bless her, she has just laid a MASSIVE double yoker - I reakon yesterday's was a softie and she destroyed the evidence! Hopefully normal service will be resumed tommorrow!

xx
Can weather affect hens laying?

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 07:44
by Bonniebean
xx
Does feed affect egg size?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 09:32
by joyfull
xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 28 queries.