Chicks fighting....

• 8 Replies

char

Chicks fighting....
« on: August 30, 2011, 22:21 »
my chicks are fighting... why?? Is it a sign that they are roosters rather than hens???? its the biggest out of the 5 that we got picking on another.... We did seperate but after 5mins we put them back together and started again this happened for an hour on and off.... drove me mad seeing them hurt each other with pecked combs and face...  What age is it clear that you can sex the chicks????

Please help.... :wub:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Chicks fighting....
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 23:43 »
All chickens will peck to establish the 'pecking order' whether they are boys or girls.  As hard as it may be, if you can leave them together to sort it out, that is the best solution.  If you keep seperating them it will just drag out the process for longer!

Can you tell us more about the chicks?  How long have you had them?  Are they all the same breed?  How old are they? 

char

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 20:54 »
Weve only had them a week..... Dont know the breeds but must be different as one has a tuft of hair (called her road runner) and none of the others have, she is white and brown.... One is pure white, One is white with brown chest, One is black with silvery specks (Bit like a Starling) and one is a mixture of brown, black and white....
Age??? Not sure, we was told they are 8-9weeks but one is much bigger than the rest (pure white) and one is really small (black)... All i know is that they are Bantams... Will post pics on soon and maybe you could help by the pics.....

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 21:57 »
It sounds like they will sort it out by themselves.  If you've only had them a week they will still be deciding who is at the top of the heap.  Hard to watch but unfortunately just one of those things chickens do!

Do make sure Road Runner can see out from under her tuft, so she can run away when she needs to.  Also make sure they have plenty of room to get away from each other and put more than one food and water dish in their run so nobody is kept away from the food.

If someone is actually bleeding you will need to intervene.  Until then, hold your breath, cover your eyes and wait!  Soon they will be best of friends all snuggled up together at night. :)

kegs

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:43 »
If any blood has been drawn you might find it helps to dab on some gentian purple spray (wear gloves as it is very staining and I find it easier to dab it on with a childs paint brush).  Make sure also that you have extra feeders and water pots out so they won't fight over just one.  Maybe some extra interest to take their mind off fighting like hanging the odd apple or corn on the cob to give them something to do.

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:55 »
I've always found corn on the cob to be the most effective distraction - especially if it's on a piece of string (make sure the string can't come loose and fall into the pen). They spend ages trying to "catch" the cob. Don't put too much in though as you don't want upset tummies.
 It is painful to watch them fighting, but as the other posters have already said, seperating them will only prolong the agony for the lowest pecking order chick and make sure you have the gentian violet (purple) spray to hand for any wounds as they'll all join in if blood is drawn.

Who'd think these little bundles of fluff could be so nasty - I always thought chickens were gentle creatures before I owned them - now I know better!!!!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 09:35 »
My chickens are a similar age and spend lots of time rolling an apple around (beakball) before eating it. It may take up to four weeks for you chickens to sort themselves out but they will.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 23:58 »
beakball  :lol:

Helenaj

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 07:03 »
beakball  :lol:

Isn't that some sort of poultry sport?  :D :D

xx
day old chicks fighting!

Started by denise and joe on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 07:38
by denise and joe
xx
chicks fighting, A LOT.

Started by JaK on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 14:57
by JaK
xx
fighting chicks

Started by samuria on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 18:17
by ANHBUC
xx
Chicks fighting

Started by Pep on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 08:11
by Pep

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 36 queries.