Quick - Help!

• 7 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
Quick - Help!
« on: August 27, 2011, 13:46 »
Been to get my 2 new girls, and have overlooked something fairly massive - FEEDERS!
I am going to keep them separate from my other 2 girls for a week or so, so I need another feeder and waterer - is there anything I can use rather than dash out and buy another set?????

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Quick - Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 14:01 »
You can use an old pyrex baking dish\dog dish - needs to have some weight so they can't turn it over too easily.

Also raising feeders\waterers on cut logs or bricks can help keep them right way up.  the birds need to be able reach in to feed or drink but not get their feet in to dig  :)

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 14:22 »
I have lovely big feeders in the main run, but had forgotten about the new girls! Oops!

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 14:55 »
By the way, I settled on a Speckeldy and a Sussex ............ they are 16 weeks, and look so young compared to my 2 ISA Browns!

evie2

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 16:13 »
Speckldy and Sussex, good choices :D ours lay lovely big eggs 6 out of 7 days :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 17:06 »
Very good choice for your girls, especially the Sussex. They really are my favourite breed (except when they roll in the dirt!). Have you chosen names yet? Any chance of some piccies? Sorry to press you, but until I get my own girls again, Im getting excited about everyone elses additions.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 09:25 »
You could use a small bucket or a washing up bowl. I do not use my waterer now. I would hang it so that they could not poo in it - that worked but if the wind was blowing it would empty it of water. Now I use a small bucket (get horsey supplements in them).     They can reach no problem it doesn't get pooed in or upturned and very easy to keep clean and refill. My purpose made waterer was very difficult to clean properly. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 12:03 »
I have used 2 bowls for the moment and they are doing fine with them, though they are much more messy eaters than my 2 ISA girls! Maybe it was what they were used to, as they were in a stable with lots of other POL's - mind you lovely people and setup where we got them, really impressed with service.

We are going to see some chickeny friends this afternoon, so I am hoping to beg a feeder and waterer from my friend for a few weeks, as my main ones are plenty big enough for the 4 of them, so its just while they are separate, and initially when we put them all together so they little-eys have access to other food and water from the bigger girls.

They are beauties, but MUCH more noisy than my ISA's - jeez, this morning I wondered what on earth was going on - one of them (think its the speckledy) was shouting like a duck!!!

xx
just a quick . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 16:46
by Lost in France
xx
Quick. What should I do?

Started by Butterfly on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 19:44
by Lost in France
xx
Quick ACS Q

Started by JaK on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 15:03
by kegs
xx
Quick one

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 16:02
by lightyears

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 38 queries.