Running B&B - the use of eggss?

• 22 Replies

looe-looe-belle

• lohmann brown hybrids = eggs! eggs! eggs!! :)
Running B&B - the use of eggss?
« on: August 26, 2011, 13:25 »
Hello

Just wondered if  anyone could answer this?

Was wondering if running a bed and breakfast establishment....and keeping my own chickens...could I use my own eggs? Or are there legislations that I cannot??

Many thanks

Patricia
regards Patricia

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Running B&B - the use of eggss?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 13:30 »
I believe the restrictions are if you sell to someone who is going to then sell on the eggs.  No problem with using your eggs for you B & B.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 13:31 »
I dont see why not?  After allyou could buy eggs from someone else down the road and use them.

I would advise writing dates in pencil on the shells of when they were laid though so you dont get any mix ups!   :lol: :lol: :lol:  (I get easily confused!)

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 16:38 »
I've eaten delicious home laid eggs at B&B's in the past and was delighted that they were offered! Go for it. I suppose if you had an odd customer who prefers the shop bought ones you could get some in just for them but I reckon they would be few and far between.

Orchardlady.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 17:05 »
There is some info about selling eggs  here

Including this
Q-Can ungraded eggs be served in bed and breakfast establishments?
A-The Food Hygiene Regulations covering the sale of fresh shell eggs require that all eggs used by catering establishments should be properly boxed and labelled Class ‘A’, however there is an exemption for chicken keepers who run small bed and breakfast establishments on the same site as they keep their flock.
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 18:06 »
Sounds good to me!   Go for it, your customers will love your eggs!!!

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 18:27 »
I agree.  Go for it.  My aunt uses her own eggs for her B&B customers.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 01:19 »
This reminds me of a long weekend we had last year.  The B&B we stayed at charged a fortune but proudly claimed - 'All our breakfast products are sourced locally and are organic'.  OH had a Full English breakfast and I asked for 2 boiled eggs.  MIne eventually arrived with 'lions' on the shells.   To this day I'm convinced they were caged eggs from Asda!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 09:34 »
I dont see why not?  After allyou could buy eggs from someone else down the road and use them.

I would advise writing dates in pencil on the shells of when they were laid though so you dont get any mix ups!   :lol: :lol: :lol:  (I get easily confused!)

I don't think there is any reason not to use your own eggs as it would be classed as farm gate sales (ie direct to the customer). Interestingly you couldn't actually buy them from someone down the road and pass them on to your customers as you would be a middleman not the end customer (unless that someone is someone like Tescos :tongue2: and registered as a packing station). Even more confusingly although you can use your own eggs you can't bake with them and sell the cakes! Not sure how you would get caught though ;)
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

outercircle

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 15:10 »
Min200 - could you expand on the cake thing? Does it apply to church fete type events or is it just commercial selling?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 17:27 »
Ma Lowe had this problem as she wanted to use her eggs for her cake baking business. When the environmetal health came to check her house had all the correct facilities - different sinks etc they said the birds should be vaccinated against salmonella I think. It may be worth asking her about this although I do think she was allowed to in the end.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Helenaj

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 18:45 »
Ma Lowe had this problem as she wanted to use her eggs for her cake baking business. When the environmetal health came to check her house had all the correct facilities - different sinks etc they said the birds should be vaccinated against salmonella I think. It may be worth asking her about this although I do think she was allowed to in the end.

Wouldn't the cooking process kill the salmonella bacteria?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 18:49 »
you would think so, but I'm sure royal icing uses raw egg white  :)

Spana

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 20:57 »
I have a couple of self catering holiday cottages here on our farm.   I always have a tea tray ready with tea and coffee , a pint of milk and a home made fresh cream victoria sponge cake made with our own eggs in the cottage fridge for when people arrive. I also put a dozen of our eggs in the fridge and tell them to ask if they need more, all free.
When visitors write in the  visitors book before they leave they nearly always say thankyou for the cake and  how lovely the eggs were and how much the appreciated them.

So i would say you guests will love having fresh eggs from hens they can see running about and doing things hens like to do.

We are checked out by the chap from health and safety most years and he has never said dont do it and sits in my kitchen eating cake like theres no tomorrow  :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 20:58 by Spana »

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 23:24 »
I kept hens for eggs at my B & B  :)

xx
up and running at last

Started by yorky on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 14:19
by maria
xx
Running hens

Started by MKD on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 15, 2016, 20:08
by Flowerpower136
xx
running before I can walk!

Started by newhen on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 19:41
by newhen
xx
running before you walk...

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 14:23
by Fifitrix

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 38 queries.