chooks and frogs

• 7 Replies

JACDORE

chooks and frogs
« on: August 25, 2011, 21:12 »
Let the girls wander round the garden today as normal, was cleaning out their house wen in the corner of my eye Eggwina (one of the girls) came running down the path with something dangling in her beak.  I shouted wat u got and presumed as she'd been near the leafy part it was a leaf.  I looked again as she ran near the fence and  :ohmy: it was a frog  :ohmy:

She finally dropped it after a few mins of pecking/bashing it and I couldnt reach it so went indoors for the grabber thing (Long handled disabled grabber) only now Bhuna (one of others) was running round with it in the run.  Finally dropped and I could go and grab it.  Next thing as I'm grabbing all 6 girls appeared and it was funny then as we all fought to grab it first  :lol:

Question is do hens normally go for frogs and is it ok, or if they managed to eat it?  I probably sound really silly here but never known it before.  Anyone help????
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: chooks and frogs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 21:16 »
mine eat them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

JACDORE

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 21:27 »
never heard or seen such a thing.  Is it ok for them then????  Thought my cats were the only frog catchers in this village  :lol: :lol: :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 21:28 »
yes it's fine for them - although not so healthy for the frog. They also love mice  :D

rosie14

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 23:12 »
Ours too had the one and only frog I've ever seen in our garden and just last week a mouse as joyfull said, shocking to see but I saw it first on that chicken documentary phew!

rosie14

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 23:13 »
Heaps of vids. on you tube-I just picked the first one....

iubf1oJdQQQ

Ricco_T

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 15:28 »
Our last set of chooks used to relish a frog - cleaned the garden out, which was a shame 'cos I actively encourage the frogs to breed in my pond.  They also caught and ate a mouse one day. You can definitely see the dinosaur ancestry on these occasions.

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 18:42 »
Frogs, mice, a sparrow and grass snakes so far - although they won't touch a baby rat (for which I am soooo grateful!).

xx
Will they eat my frogs?

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 22:14
by snowdrops
xx
Hens, ponds and frogs

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 13:55
by SusieB
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
What can chooks eat?

Started by beki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 17:37
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 29 queries.